The "White House" Chippy in Pitsmmor.

Originally posted by whodatden

sorry to tell you its not i chippy anymore,i am the builder that did it up.it is now a one bedroom home and at the moment is rented out,the plan for the future is to build an extension on the back to make it a 3 bedroom property

Is the ghost still there.....:suspect:

I knew Bernard and Kath very well as they had the chippy at the top of Andover Street to.

Bernard was there up to a few years ago.

I knew the two sons Anthony and Nicholas ( I think ).

Anthony I believe married one of the Gower family.

Clarefl, I may know your mum if she worked there during the 70s.

Here is a delicate question regarding Kath and Bernard.

Is the last name Greaves and before running the White House, did they run a chip shop at the top of Spital Street (until the mid 60s) ? Or have I mixed them up with someone else. Sorry if I'm right off the track.

Thanks for info. The reason I asked is I believe I knew Bernard from Pye Bank but he was a few years in front of me. It's possible that Bernard had a younger brother, Raymond, who was in my class. Small world if I'm correct.

Once again, thanks for all our help.

I remember this chippy, and I agree it was one of the best - if not the best - in the City. I always used, when I was a postie, to make the delivery pad out so I could call in there for some food.

Shame it's no longer in use, they don't make chippies like these anymore.

• 4 months later...

aaaaa..the white house chippy.i used to live on the flats opposite it on nottingham street and used to go every friday night after boys brigade..i saw bernard about a year or so ago in the city center.my auntie used to work for them when they had the chippy at the top of andover street..her name was kath compson.