UK in longest double dip recession on record

I really am finding it hard to believe we're in a bad financial position. I was in a Ford dealership at the weekend, they were absolutely swamped with people buying new cars. The manager said they'd never been so busy (is it new plate time or something?) and people were waiting to be served because they didn't have enough sales staff (eight).

Weeknights and weekends in Liverpool are full of shoppers laden down with bags of goodies.

Pubs and restaurants are full.

I'm not saying the problem doesn't exist, just that people I've seen don't seem to be letting it bother them and their spending.

I really am finding it hard to believe we're in a bad financial position.
Possibly more of a case of "getting away with not taking their medicine yet" ;)

I've not seen stats recently, but I get more-or-less the same feeling as you alch, and from occasional conversations with friends, neighbours and acquaintances, spending on the never-never seems as rife as ever.

Just about every car on our close is leased, our two cars (the oldests :hihi:) must be the only ones fully-paid for!

Party allegiances aside it should be very, very clear that the economy and our economic policy are both a complete mess.

You could call it Eton Mess.

Mr Smith, your obsession with the overpopulation of this tiny little island is nothing new, it's been a popular topic of conversation at posh dinner parties for at least 150 years. Sometimes I can hear the voice of Alastair Sim as Scrooge while reading your posts.

Are there no prisonnnns ? Are there no workhousesssss ? :cool:

Mr Smith, your obsession with the overpopulation of this tiny little island is nothing new, it's been a popular topic of conversation at posh dinner parties for at least 150 years. Sometimes I can hear the voice of Alastair Sim as Scrooge while reading your posts.

It’s not an obsession, just a fact that overpopulation is the root of many of the world’s problems, and many of the UK’s problems. No point ignoring the cause of the problems just because some people find it unpalatable to consider..:)

It’s not an obsession, just a fact that overpopulation is the root of many of the world’s problems

Such as growing unemployment in the UK ? In the middle of the harshest austerity programme in UK history ?

Sorry to disappoint, but that's not a fact, it's an obsession.

Such as growing unemployment in the UK ? In the middle of the harshest austerity programme in UK history ?

Sorry to disappoint, but that's not a fact, it's an obsession.

If there aren't enough jobs globally for all the people then there must be too many people.

Maybe he should decrease the surplus population ... by one

It’s not an obsession, just a fact that overpopulation is the root of many of the world’s problems, and many of the UK’s problems. No point ignoring the cause of the problems just because some people find it unpalatable to consider..:)

good post and very true, this planet was never meant to sustain the huge population it has now, the same can also be said for individual countries like the UK, we cannot sustain this immigration and pay for it also, the recession is due to the dilution of the capital spend available, the truth is we now try to save and cure all from suffering and poverty.....it cannot be done which ever way you look at it, this country and the world will fall deeper into recession unless each country takes its own stand and looks after it own interests!

Archived