Holiday pay question

Been offered a job, and they've told me that although my pay will be close to £7 per hour, I'll actually be classed as being on minimum wage, but, I won't get any paid holiday, it is crafted into my hourly pay. If I take any holiday it will be unpaid, but I can take as much as I want, when I want, with a bit of notice, but with no pay.

I've never heard of this, and it sounds a bit weird not to have some paid holiday. Is this normal? Is it even legal? :confused:

I guess it comes under this?

Some employers and employment agencies may say that your hourly rate of pay includes an amount for holiday pay, and that they expect you to save this part of your pay to cover your holidays. This is known as 'rolled up' holiday pay. Rolled up holiday pay may be against the law unless your holiday pay is paid on top of your basic pay and it's clear what the amount of rolled up holiday pay is. For example, the amount of rolled up holiday pay should be clearly set out in your payslip.

Pottedplant, they probably mean I can have a day off here and there when I like, and maybe take the years holiday allowance before I really should when the entitlement to it kicks in, as I'm not getting paid for it.

Been offered a job, and they've told me that although my pay will be close to £7 per hour, I'll actually be classed as being on minimum wage, but, I won't get any paid holiday, it is crafted into my hourly pay. If I take any holiday it will be unpaid, but I can take as much as I want, when I want, with a bit of notice, but with no pay.

I've never heard of this, and it sounds a bit weird not to have some paid holiday. Is this normal? Is it even legal? :confused:

Unfortunately tiz true............

I guess it comes under this?

Some employers and employment agencies may say that your hourly rate of pay includes an amount for holiday pay, and that they expect you to save this part of your pay to cover your holidays. This is known as 'rolled up' holiday pay. Rolled up holiday pay may be against the law unless your holiday pay is paid on top of your basic pay and it's clear what the amount of rolled up holiday pay is. For example, the amount of rolled up holiday pay should be clearly set out in your payslip.

Pottedplant, they probably mean I can have a day off here and there when I like, and maybe take the years holiday allowance before I really should when the entitlement to it kicks in, as I'm not getting paid for it.

I think that may be the case - but I would check (and also check that the top up pay does equal the minimum leave you are allowed to have)....and congrats on the job!

Archived