Refused Credit card from bank but never had any debt

This has really surprised me,I have never even had a credit card before or any debt at all, wasn't given a reason why except that if may have something to do with my new address.

So it looks like im being punished for someone else's debt because they used to live at my flat,this sucks any advice what to do about this?

You might not have a credit history at all, this can be a big problem. try something easier to get, like a phone contract, or another credit card (possibly higher interest) and use it to do the weekly shop or something and pay it off in full every month for a couple of months and things might improve.

I don't think the address has much effect on things, but, you can apply to the credit reference agencies for a 'disassociation' if this really is the case, so they know you're not connected financially to the previous tenant.

This has really surprised me,I have never even had a credit card before or any debt at all, wasn't given a reason why except that if may have something to do with my new address.

So it looks like im being punished for someone else's debt because they used to live at my flat,this sucks any advice what to do about this?

It's not the address.It's always the person.

Unless it's because maybe you aint on the electoral roll there yet.

Or having never had credit makes it just as hard.

I tried to get an overdraft and a £2000 loan from my bank a few years back when i worked full time, and they wouldn't let me have it, despite me having been a customer for 20 years and showing them all proof of income. I think banks are one of the hardest places to get credit from!

Addresses are not blacklisted. Are you registered on the electoral roll as this can make a big difference. As has been mentioned get hold of a copy of your credit report to see if there's anything on there that shouldn't be and make sure you're not the victim of identity theft.

Accept that the bank has done you a favour and forget the daft idea of a credit card.

Credit is a very slippery slope as soon as you get on it you will go face first at some point.

My theory on finances goes like this "if you can't afford it don't buy it" may seem very blunt but it keeps you out of financial ruin.

Archived