ATMs paying out £5..

Nothing to do with the recession. It started with the treasury giving the banks a bollocking because they were not circulating enough new fivers. And so all the existing fivers in circulation were getting tatty and extremely unhygenic. The banks have been forced to do more to distribute new fivers and remove old ones from circulation, for around a year or more I've been getting fivers from the cash machines.

Cheers..I didn't know that............

The cash machine at the corner of Ecclesall Road and Sharrowvale Road (I think it's Natwest) gives out fivers. In tesco on Ecclesall Road also gives £1 cash back with purchases which is a new thing as I thought it was a minimum of £10. I saw a student get £1 cash back and asked if this was new, the cashier said it's to cater to the students (the cashback not the fivers from the atms)

Barclays, have been doing it for a while, co-operative for about a year, the little stand alone one near Wilkinsons, and the Square have always done it..

Royal Bank of Scotland at bottom of the moor have always done it... :)

Yorkshire bank have started doing it in the last 6 months or so..

The cash machine at the corner of Ecclesall Road and Sharrowvale Road (I think it's Natwest) gives out fivers. In tesco on Ecclesall Road also gives £1 cash back with purchases which is a new thing as I thought it was a minimum of £10. I saw a student get £1 cash back and asked if this was new, the cashier said it's to cater to the students (the cashback not the fivers from the atms)

I thought with cashback, you could ask for any sum of money up to the limit of £50?

It's happened in the last few years. It used to be hard to find fivers, nobody got them from the cash machine, shops didn't use many as change & the old worn out ones are taken out of circulation. It was decided there weren't enough fivers.

Tesco & Asda at Manor Top both have £5 notes in their cash machines.

I thought with cashback, you could ask for any sum of money up to the limit of £50?

You can get up to a maximum of £50, however, most shops insist on a minimum denomination of £10.

Archived