Slums in London in 2012!

Anybody see the 10pm News last night showing the slum housing in London near the Olympic Park?

I was shocked to see families were paying £650 per month to live in one room in somebody's attic- literally. This was not the usual attic conversion. Accessed via ladder and through a door in the ceiling..rats, live wires, no means of escape in a fire..highly illegal but needs must.

I thought slums were a thing of the past in this country.

Anybody see the 10pm News last night showing the slum housing in London near the Olympic Park?

I was shocked to see families were paying £650 per month to live in one room in somebody's attic- literally. This was not the usual attic conversion. Accessed via ladder and through a door in the ceiling..rats, live wires, no means of escape in a fire..highly illegal but needs must.

I thought slums were a thing of the past in this country.

They pretty much are but there is no shortage of poor accomodation.

I take it you haven't watched much news over the past decade, has immigrants flooded into the country slums were built to house them.

Sheds with beds' are London's modern day slums

Slum UK: housing crisis that shames the nation

Conditions now among worst in Europe, warns major study, while thousands forced to sleep rough as landlords cash in

Welcome to the Slums of Southall: How unscrupulous landlords have illegally built squalid back garden homes for immigrants

The roundabout people: Jobless migrants forced to set up tent village and go fishing at a nearby lake

A group of jobless migrants have set up a tent 'village' next to a busy roundabout in Northampton.

The camp is home to around a dozen adults and children who have set up a community known locally as the ‘Roundabout people’.

The shanty town has a main area for catering and communal meals, which appears to double as a 'church' for those who want to pray for a better life.

The UK builds the smallest homes in Europe, according to the government's adviser on architecture.

Room to swing a cat? Hardly

I take it you haven't watched much news over the past decade, has immigrants flooded into the country slums were built to house them.

Sheds with beds' are London's modern day slums

Slum UK: housing crisis that shames the nation

Conditions now among worst in Europe, warns major study, while thousands forced to sleep rough as landlords cash in

Welcome to the Slums of Southall: How unscrupulous landlords have illegally built squalid back garden homes for immigrants

The roundabout people: Jobless migrants forced to set up tent village and go fishing at a nearby lake

A group of jobless migrants have set up a tent 'village' next to a busy roundabout in Northampton.

The camp is home to around a dozen adults and children who have set up a community known locally as the ‘Roundabout people’.

The shanty town has a main area for catering and communal meals, which appears to double as a 'church' for those who want to pray for a better life.

The UK builds the smallest homes in Europe, according to the government's adviser on architecture.

Room to swing a cat? Hardly

Sounds like chem1sts blueprint for solving the housing problem. If they are illegal I can see why they put up with it but if they aren't, move ! Move out of London, Stoke was offering housing wasn't it ?

Sounds like chem1sts blueprint for solving the housing problem. If they are illegal I can see why they put up with it but if they aren't, move ! Move out of London, Stoke was offering housing wasn't it ?

The cost of Newham Council's social housing problem

Newham Council has been criticised after it emerged it asked a housing association in Stoke to accommodate 500 of its poorest families.

Not sure they intend to house them.

Too few new homes' in Stoke-on-Trent for 30 years

A housing association head says the construction industry needs a "massive boost" to ensure much-needed homes are built in Stoke-on-Trent and other areas.

About 3,000 individuals or families in the city are on the waiting list for social housing.

Social housing was built to eradicate slums. Governments selling off loads of social housing and not building new social housing inevitably means a return to the slums. The obvious solution is to build more social housing and in the process create a lot of jobs, unless you are David Cameron and George Osborne on an ideological mission to destroy social housing and push people into slum housing.

Archived