At last, smoking is harmless!

Problem with these things as that you are never getting out of the 'hand to mouth' routine of smoking. Withdrawal by the way of NRT patches or gum, I think is a better alternative.

Many pubs won't allow them as its hard to distinguish the electronic cigarette from a real cigarette at a distance ... realistically a licensee can't spend all this time watching out for which option is being used. A defence of 'I thought it was an electronic cigarette' wouldn't stand up in court!

If you're going to stop smoking, just do it, its not all that bad if you can get over the first 2wks.

The majority of the E-cigs now don't look anything like a cigarette. There are a few that do, including the disposable ones, but if you look at a few sites selling them, most of them look more like a fountain pen or something!

The majority of the E-cigs now don't look anything like a cigarette. There are a few that do, including the disposable ones, but if you look at a few sites selling them, most of them look more like a fountain pen or something!

I found when I stopped smoking 13 years ago, one of the main issues was getting out of the habit of 'hand to mouth' with the cigarette, also frequently feeling in your pocket for your cigarettes and lighter. The nicotine withdrawal also plays a major part but you can use NRT for that. Am I right in thinking that you are still inhaling into your lungs some sort of smoke/steam with an electronic cigarette?

I found when I stopped smoking 13 years ago, one of the main issues was getting out of the habit of 'hand to mouth' with the cigarette, also frequently feeling in your pocket for your cigarettes and lighter. The nicotine withdrawal also plays a major part but you can use NRT for that. Am I right in thinking that you are still inhaling into your lungs some sort of smoke/steam with an electronic cigarette?

As far as I know, its just some water vapour steam type stuff with nicotine in it. They don't cure your nicotine addictions, but they do cut out the vast majority of the health damaging chemicals that are inhaled with a proper cig.

Haven't bought one myself as yet, but have been considering it for a while. I've heard it can be expensive to buy the cartridges which do need replacing frequently, of course not as expensive as smoking though!

Problem with these things as that you are never getting out of the 'hand to mouth' routine of smoking. Withdrawal by the way of NRT patches or gum, I think is a better alternative.

Many pubs won't allow them as its hard to distinguish the electronic cigarette from a real cigarette at a distance ... realistically a licensee can't spend all this time watching out for which option is being used. A defence of 'I thought it was an electronic cigarette' wouldn't stand up in court!

If you're going to stop smoking, just do it, its not all that bad if you can get over the first 2wks.

You can't say that. I've been stopped for 2 years, until last week.

It totally depends on the person.

As far as I know, its just some water vapour steam type stuff with nicotine in it. They don't cure your nicotine addictions, but they do cut out the vast majority of the health damaging chemicals that are inhaled with a proper cig.

Like I said, with this e-cig you're never breaking the habit and I would imagine they are unsuccessful in the majority of cases.

One of the best ways to stop smoking is to go on roll ups for a couple of weeks, that should put you off smoking! Especially when people start moving away from you in public areas due to the smell? I always think roll up smells linger on people, turn their teeth yellow and make them smell like old men! When someone smokes roll ups I can smell it on them even when they put it out from the other side of a room. Yuk!

Then you'll be wasting your time. Anti-smokers will be pleased you've made the change.

Smokers, on the other hand, perhaps not:

Third of smokers are 'saboteurs'

A third of smokers have admitted to sabotaging another person's attempt to quit, according to research.

Jealousy, guilt about their own habit and wanting a smoking "buddy" were among the reasons to wreck other people's quitting attempts.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5i0xAzluVv9ZLhp_Y5LXI9WFQE2Sw?docId=N0041371343314797978A

Which just adds more to the list of negatives about smokers!

I saw this "headline" mentioned in another of todays threads entitled:

Prize for most misleading headline of the day..

Like I said, with this e-cig you're never breaking the habit and I would imagine they are unsuccessful in the majority of cases.

One of the best ways to stop smoking is to go on roll ups for a couple of weeks, that should put you off smoking! Especially when people start moving away from you in public areas due to the smell? I always think roll up smells linger on people, turn their teeth yellow and make them smell like old men! When someone smokes roll ups I can smell it on them even when they put it out from the other side of a room. Yuk!

But I like the hand to mouth habit. I also like the feel of the "smoke", when you inhale a cigarette. I also like the effects of nicotine, which is almost harmless, in small doses.

So for me, these are the best thing since sliced bread!

The hand to mouth thing can be one of the worst things to kick too. I often find I don't NEED a cigarette myself, but I am bored and my hands want something to do. If I could use something like an E-cig to do this with (rather than the dodgy blue puzzle thing you get in the NHS quit kit!) and get a bit of a nicotine hit as well, then it would possibly be of help, and I could deal with breaking the habit and quitting the E-cigs later. The most important thing has to be the health benefits, doesn't it? If I can't break the hand to mouth thing, at least I'm not killing myself by using a real cig for the habit?

Archived