The dreaded work capability assessment

For Heading North, zippy, and any other person I thought you may wish to watch BBC or Channel 4 on Monday the 30th, as they have secretly recorded the work capabillity assesment. After watching this maybe we can all have a sensible discussion, about the merits and downside of the assesment.

BBC and Channel 4 investigate the work capability assessment

25 July 2012

BBC Panorama and Channel 4 Dispatches are both doing programmes on the work capability assessment (WCA) on Monday 30 July.

The first is Dispatches, Channel 4, which starts at 8pm and runs for half an hour.

“Using undercover filming, reporter Jackie Long investigates the shocking processes used to assess whether sickness and disability benefit claimants should be declared fit for work.”

After that you can turn over to BBC2 to watch Panorama's Disabled or Faking It, which starts at 8.30pm and also runs for half an hour.

“Panorama investigates the government's plans to end the so-called 'sick note culture' and their attempts to get millions of people off disability benefits and into work. In Britain's modern welfare state, millions are being paid to private companies to assess sick and disabled claimants but is the system working? Or are new tests wrongly victimising those who deserve support the most?”

For Heading North, zippy, and any other person I thought you may wish to watch BBC or Channel 4 on Monday the 30th, as they have secretly recorded the work capabillity assesment.

Having been to five such assessments, I don't need to watch someone else's recording of one to see what happens.

I've been for one of these, not sure if the person who carried out the assessment had any sort of medical background though, she seemed to have no idea what she was going on about or what I was telling her.

You can check out their name on the nurse and midwifery council. The problem is that a lot of the medical staff are employed from abroad. This process is also done in the n-h-s as well.

Mass immigration has been a blessing to thousands of Brits who have decided to opt for the benefit culture system! ie picking up jobs that the Brits no longer want or can't be arsed to do!.............taking the 'Where are the jobs" route as an excuse for idleness!

Rubbish! there are plenty of jobs,it's just that you think they are beneath you or benefits pay better!............'fraid you have a shock coming the next few years.

i went for an assesment last october,i saw a nurse who admitted that she had no idea about my illness and how it affects me.i was kicked off ib and now have to sign on.after applying for god knows how many jobs i am still signing and i am getting realy fed up of hearing the same thing from emplyers."sorry we dont understand ur illness" this is after i have emialed them a document that explains what my illness does and how it affects me.

i volunteer for zest and my illness started to kick in.the boss told me that there is no way i will get employed after what she saw me go through.

its about time the dole office and the assement people got it right

The test picks out people who are able to do some form of work, I don't see why those who need to take the test are so scared.

I actually think that if you're at all concerned about the result of the test, you probably know that you can do some form of work.

The test picks out people who are able to do some form of work, I don't see why those who need to take the test are so scared.

I actually think that if you're at all concerned about the result of the test, you probably know that you can do some form of work.

That would be fine if the test really did separate those who can do no form of work from those who can work in certain circumstances and with support, but there are lots of reports which bring the validity of the test and the ability of those administering it to produce any meaningful result into question.

If the people administering the test can find those who are acutely unwell able to work then I think that everybody about to have the test is likely to be really very concerned.

If the people administering the test can find those who are acutely unwell able to work then I think that everybody about to have the test is likely to be really very concerned.

The fact that 40% of people that appeal, win their case says it all. I feel sorry for those who are frightened to or don't know how to appeal and take the assessors decision as gospel.

The fact that 40% of people that appeal, win their case says it all.

I'm not sure that statistic is accurate - I thought it was higher - but taken at face value, it says probably the opposite of what you think it does. The people who appeal are a self-selecting sample: they are the ones who think the original decision was wrong. If it really is as low as 40%, then clearly most people who think the original decision was wrong, are incorrect.

The problem - as ever - is that people generally, and laws because they have to, see everything in black and white, where there should really be a huge number of shades of grey. Anyone who is capable of any work, in any form, should fail this test; its entire purpose is to identify people who simply cannot work. Not those who can't do what they used to do, or can't do very much, or will need help; it's a black-and-white test to divide people who could work from people who could not.

On the other hand, anyone who is no longer capable of doing the job they used to do, deserves some support while they find something else they are still capable of. People who are capable of something, but not very much (Nimrod is a fine example; as ill as he is you'd expect him to be utterly incapable of anything and yet he does work!), should have support to help them there, too. "Capable of some form of work" and "needs help because of illness of disability" are not mutually exclusive; a great many people can be described as both.

Archived