The dreaded work capability assessment

For those on here saying they cannot work due to this or that, quick thought for you. You can read as you are able to respond to the posts on SF. You are able to reply using a computer meaning you are able to communicate and have the necessary literacy and computer skills to function in front of a computer. Straight away i can think of numerous jobs that your skills would be adequate for.

Many people with mental health problems can function in society. We all have problems in lives. I see and speak to people who say they can not work due to back problems or mobility problems. I ask them what they have done over the weekend. They say been fishing, looking after grand kids, goin to the club.

How do you get there then? There is a job that 95% of people can do if they really wanted to.

The other 5% are genuine cases for DLA

being able to read , write and communicate dont mean you cant be mentally ill

try days when you cant get out of bed because of low mood i could go on and on i see your post as narrow minded and wont be replying to any of your future comments

Only the nieve and stupid believe that it's ever been about getting disabled people into work.

It's a cost-cutting exercise pure and simple. The Govt know there aren't enough jobs to go around and that the disabled are even less likely to find a job than the abled bodied.

HOWEVER

Paying them JSA @ £70 a week is MUCH cheaper than paying them disability benefit.

The ATOS assessment has already been declared by many doctors (real ones not ATOS ones) as unfit for purpose yet the Govt refuse to listen to that.

I agree that there are those faking it and there is a need to weed these out but the ATOS test is collecting far too many innocent victims.

A better way would be to offer £200 as reward for people to inform the DWP of fakers, paid when it's investigated and found to be true.

in reply to part of of your statement how can a registered nurse assess and diagnose or dismiss mental illness ? surely its a job for trained professsionals eg doctors or psychiatrist

Only the nieve and stupid believe that it's ever been about getting disabled people into work.

It's a cost-cutting exercise pure and simple. The Govt know there aren't enough jobs to go around and that the disabled are even less likely to find a job than the abled bodied.

HOWEVER

Paying them JSA @ £70 a week is MUCH cheaper than paying them disability benefit.

The ATOS assessment has already been declared by many doctors (real ones not ATOS ones) as unfit for purpose yet the Govt refuse to listen to that.

I agree that there are those faking it and there is a need to weed these out but the ATOS test is collecting far too many innocent victims.

A better way would be to offer £200 as reward for people to inform the DWP of fakers, paid when it's investigated and found to be true.

bang on the money!

My employer uses ATOS, I have problems with my knees so a couple of years ago was referred to them for an examination. Basically the woman didn't seem to have clue what she was doing, then a couple of weeks later I received a letter giving me a date to start physiotherapy for.....

wait for it.........

My back problem. :huh:

Not only that, but the condition I have with my knees doesn't respond to physio anyway and I told them that at the time.

that just about sums them up!

For those on here saying they cannot work due to this or that, quick thought for you. You can read as you are able to respond to the posts on SF. You are able to reply using a computer meaning you are able to communicate and have the necessary literacy and computer skills to function in front of a computer. Straight away i can think of numerous jobs that your skills would be adequate for.

Many people with mental health problems can function in society. We all have problems in lives. I see and speak to people who say they can not work due to back problems or mobility problems. I ask them what they have done over the weekend. They say been fishing, looking after grand kids, goin to the club.

How do you get there then? There is a job that 95% of people can do if they really wanted to.

The other 5% are genuine cases for DLA

I'll give a thought back for you...

That 95% might be able to do the job, but what about if the job pays minimum wage?

How does the person concerned pay for the care they need on NMW?

How do they have a family/ social life (and by that, I don't mean piddling it up in the pub) life, if their condition means that they can get up and go to work in the morning, but when they get home at the end of the working day, all they can do is flop into bed, exhausted and ill, and have to stay there till the next morning, when they "rinse-and-repeat"?

What about the person who can do a specific task (eg working on their PC), but for, only, say, half an hour/ an hour before they have to go and have a rest for an hour or so? How do they do sufficient work to earn enough to keep body and soul together?

Archived