Olympics opening ceremony multicultural poop tweets Tory MP

Mmmm... couldn't make my mind up whether it was brilliant eccentricity or as mad as a box of frogs. On balance, I think it was probably mad genius, certainly British, and should have most of the world completely baffled - I didn't understand it, and I live here!

Loved the start with the pastoral scene making way for the industrial revolution, I was cringing behind the sofa at the bit with James Bond and the Queen, (what was she thinking...!) Hated the NHS bit but liked the monsters, thought the Rowen Atkinson bit was great, not sure about the party bit, but liked the music. The drumming was fantastic, so was the final torch. So a bit of a mixed bag, but certainly weird, fun and eccentric. More of a last night party than a first night ceremony.

If they were aiming to be as unlike Bejing as it was possible, they succeeded. I suspect a lot of people won't have liked it - but I have to ask - what would they have done?

Well done to everyone who took part, the co-ordination must have been a nightmare but they pulled it off brilliantly.

He is wrong. I'm not a fan of the clunky shoehorned in innappropriate over the top kind of homages to multiculturalism you tend to get from the left and I expected this ceremony to be like that but I didn't think it was.

It acknowledged that we are a country who have immigrants who have contributed without slavishly going over the top, I thought it was incredibly well balanced and managed to acknowledge this without going into the normal clunky laboured over the top performance of ramming down everybody's throats how marvellous it is. It got the balance right.

On the other hand I did think that it was slightly over politicised with a big bias towards the liberals with the NHS section and Shami Chakrabati carrying the olympic flag.

If they were aiming to be as unlike Bejing as it was possible, they succeeded. I suspect a lot of people won't have liked it - but I have to ask - what would they have done?.

I can see the scene now..fish n chip shop, snide track suits and a fag in their mouth. Mustn't forget the staffy too. Beyond that not much more in the way of imagination.

Disasterous Dave Cameron doing a good job? Yeah right, it looks like it doesn't it? You can't persaude public opinion by bombarding them every 5 minutes. And as for Burely, well, some people will say and do anything to draw attention to themselves ... and that just about sums up this shower of a government.

Archived