Olympics opening ceremony multicultural poop tweets Tory MP

Mmmm... couldn't make my mind up whether it was brilliant eccentricity or as mad as a box of frogs. On balance, I think it was probably mad genius, certainly British, and should have most of the world completely baffled - I didn't understand it, and I live here!

Loved the start with the pastoral scene making way for the industrial revolution, I was cringing behind the sofa at the bit with James Bond and the Queen, (what was she thinking...!) Hated the NHS bit but liked the monsters, thought the Rowen Atkinson bit was great, not sure about the party bit, but liked the music. The drumming was fantastic, so was the final torch. So a bit of a mixed bag, but certainly weird, fun and eccentric. More of a last night party than a first night ceremony.

If they were aiming to be as unlike Bejing as it was possible, they succeeded. I suspect a lot of people won't have liked it - but I have to ask - what would they have done?

Well done to everyone who took part, the co-ordination must have been a nightmare but they pulled it off brilliantly.

baffled's not the word:huh:

soon as I get my spaceship fixed I"m leaveing this planet

Ok so what did I watch last night then? I saw a ceremony which managed to encapsulate everything essentially British from our history to our famed eccentricity.

I saw a celebration that reminded the world just how much in the way of invention and innovation is owed to Britons.

I saw a potted history of Great Britain accompanied by words and music we can be proud of.

I saw an entertainment spectacle to be proud of which whilst celebrating our heritage also acknowledged our multiculturalism and our hopes for the future.

Well done to Danny Boyle and everyone who was involved in it.

It is a sad reflection on the world we live in that people watch a spectacle like that and have nothing more in their mind than taking note what the proportion of white / non white was. I can honestly say that neither myself nor the people I watched it with noticed the colour of anyones skin.......because it didnt matter.

I thought there were far too many non whites.

They were way way WAY out of proportion to the population.

Im glad someone else noticed it too.

It dosent make him racist though.

If you ask for volunteers in London then surprisingly enough you will get a lot of non-whites.

Archived