Olympics opening ceremony multicultural poop tweets Tory MP

I feel quite sorry for you. Yes there are inequalities and injustices all over the world. Yes there are corrupt governments and regimes who are perpetrating these inequalities and injustices. The olympics are about the other side of the coin...about countries coming together in peace to compete against each other in sport.

Really theres no need :)

I too had no intention of watching it - but when it came on I went into the living room to have a quick look and ended up watching the lot.

Mmmm... couldn't make my mind up whether it was brilliant eccentricity or as mad as a box of frogs. On balance, I think it was probably mad genius, certainly British, and should have most of the world completely baffled - I didn't understand it, and I live here!

I didn't understand it either - but curiosity kept me watching.

Loved the start with the pastoral scene making way for the industrial revolution, I was cringing behind the sofa at the bit with James Bond and the Queen, (what was she thinking...!) Hated the NHS bit but liked the monsters, thought the Rowen Atkinson bit was great, not sure about the party bit, but liked the music. The drumming was fantastic, so was the final torch. So a bit of a mixed bag, but certainly weird, fun and eccentric. More of a last night party than a first night ceremony.

Pastoral scene? - I thought that bit was a tribute to JRR Tolkien :hihi: - I expected Bilbo Baggins to come out from Bag End to get the 'unexpected party' off to a swinging start. I didn't understand the shots of men (and women) working cranks to raise chimneys (or were they going to be rocket tubes?) out of the ground. The way the Rings were forged was pretty good (though because I'd interpreted the first bit as a tribute to Tolkien, I was half expecting to hear: "One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,

One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them".)

I liked the part where the 'Peace doves' came out at the end (I thought they were over-sized lacewings at first), but when one of them took off and flew upwards, I thought : "What's ET got to do with it?"

If they were aiming to be as unlike Bejing as it was possible, they succeeded. I suspect a lot of people won't have liked it - but I have to ask - what would they have done?

Whether people liked it or not, I suspect many will be talking about it. - Even if it's only "What was that lot all about?"

The show (on TV) allowed viewers to see a lot, but I wonder how much those who were present (and at higher altitudes a long way from the action) saw?

Well done to everyone who took part, the co-ordination must have been a nightmare but they pulled it off brilliantly.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I couldn't agree more. A lot of hard work over a long period must've gone into that and they did a very good job.

More than 10% would be too many.

Any more than 10% would not be representative of our society.

You do realise the host city is one of the most multi-cultural cities in the world, and that the area where the Olympic park is located is one of the most multi-cultural areas of that city?

More than 10% would be too many.

Any more than 10% would not be representative of our society.

Do we have a duty to represent our racial make-up at an Olympic event?

Maybe have only 10% of the athletes as coloured?

Force a 10% coloured mix into under represented events?

Archived