The Queen is remarkable.

Of course it is. It's like saying if your father and grandfather were ditch diggers, you must also be one.

What criteria would you like to see used to select the next monarch? That is, if you don't think the monarchy should be abolished. Maybe a battery of psychological tests and a physical endurance course? OMG, you could have it at Wembly Stadium and charge admission! Or televise it! :hihi: I'm being silly now.

Believe me, democratically electing people to office doesn't necessarily yield better results. Your still stuck with a bunch of power hungry, self serving crooks who abuse their positions, rarely serve the needs of the people who elected them and either do something stupid or embarrassing. Sometimes both.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the royal family, for all their faults aren't all that bad. I still maintain you could have done a lot worse.

That's the whole point of Republicanism, the abolishment of monarchy, a hierarchical system based on birthright. It's pointless arguing to remove the Queen if only to replace her with another Queen or king. Any man woman or child born on these shores should have an equal right to be head of state, or at least the right to aspire to that, including ditch diggers..just like you do. That's why we are light years behind you. The monarchy is nothing more than bling.

Of course it is. It's like saying if your father and grandfather were ditch diggers, you must also be one.

What criteria would you like to see used to select the next monarch? That is, if you don't think the monarchy should be abolished. Maybe a battery of psychological tests and a physical endurance course? OMG, you could have it at Wembly Stadium and charge admission! Or televise it! :hihi: I'm being silly now.

Believe me, democratically electing people to office doesn't necessarily yield better results. Your still stuck with a bunch of power hungry, self serving crooks who abuse their positions, rarely serve the needs of the people who elected them and either do something stupid or embarrassing. Sometimes both.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the royal family, for all their faults aren't all that bad. I still maintain you could have done a lot worse.

Great comments Sierra, i expressed a similar view on another thread once or twice.

In a nutshell what do i think about electing a President in place of the Monarchy :gag:

Great comments Sierra, i expressed a similar view on another thread once or twice.

In a nutshell what do i think about electing a President in place of the Monarchy :gag:

Electing a president or head of state is exactly that..electing. What has that to do with an unelected head of state?

So you have 'seen' a person once and you base your entire opinion of them on that one moment in their life.

There is way more to this than you are letting on. I would hazard a guess you don't like the Queen, probably the whole royal family for that matter, but you struggle to find anything other than jealousy to warrant your feelings. Therefore you use your previous argument to justify an irrational dislike for a person you actually have no experience of.

You couldn't be more wrong, and you shouldn't makes guesses because it just makes you look stupid.

My opinion is based upon

A) What I saw on the opening night.

B) The similar threads and comments across the WWW.

C) What I saw of her Liverpool trip.

I actually support the monarchy - something you'd know if you bothered to do a bit of research - but I feel of late she's changed and is no longer an ideal role model as our head of state.

If it was just me making this statement then maybe you'd have a point, but several others on here and countless others across the world have said the same. You don't seem to be on their case. So, come on, put your money where your mouth is and criticise everyone else on this thread who has attacked the queen. They've said far worse than I.

So with that in mind, I'll paraphrase your own words:

There is way more to this than you are letting on. I would hazard a guess you don't like me, but you struggle to find anything other than jealousy to warrant your feelings. Therefore you use your previous argument to justify an irrational dislike for a person you actually have no experience of.

Electing a president or head of state is exactly that..electing. What has that to do with an unelected head of state?

If it aint broke don't fix it.Its unlikely anything will change in the near future,if the response of the general public this year is anything to go on,the popularity of the monarchy is massive.

Future generations may wish to see the abolition of the monarchy but if it ever happens it will be a long time coming.

If it aint broke don't fix it.Its unlikely anything will change in the near future,if the response of the general public this year is anything to go on,the popularity of the monarchy is massive.

Future generations may wish to see the abolition of the monarchy but if it ever happens it will be a long time coming.

I've already acknowledged that point. So you wouldn't have a problem with a voting system being applied considering the support?

And it is broke..or do you agree that David Cameron should be where he is without your input?

Archived