The Queen is remarkable.

But I don't.

Is it because you would have to swear an oath of allegiance you do not wish to become a police officer or serviceman ?

Or if it is just because you do not wish to follow one of those careers now but in the future decided you changed your mind how would you tackle the oath of allegiance issue ?

Or in more extreme circumstances if we were at war and conscription was introduced.

Or in more extreme circumstances if we were at war and conscription was introduced.

I expect most fit young men would choose to fight for Queen and Country.unless the courage of their convictions were so strong and the only alternative was to serve a prison sentence.It would be a difficult choice and one that i hope no one will ever have to face in the future.

Is it because you would have to swear an oath of allegiance you do not wish to become a police officer or serviceman ?

It's because they are jobs that I don't want to do.

I can't think of a job that I would do that'd need a Oath of Allegiance.

Or if it is just because you do not wish to follow one of those careers now but in the future decided you changed your mind how would you tackle the oath of allegiance issue ?

I don't know. I question why it is necessary though. Some Parliamentarians have gotten around it by starting their oath with "under protest ...". I don't know what I'd do, for I've never put that much thought into it.

That depends on context. Context of the war, and conscription.

No friend I was never in the forces, my signature is taken from the TV series Early Doors. It's set in a pub, & it's what the landlord says, and the regulars join in with the bolded bit. :):)

Two boiled eggs chopped up in a cup will soon sort you out.:hihi:

Aged 86 and such stamina. After being "parachuted" from that helicopter with the assistance of the georgeos James Bond, and then remaining at the Olympic ceremony till after midnight,she still managed to attend the Olympic Park this morning looking wonderful in a different outfit.

Just shows what a daily dose of Geritol and a rubdown with Bengay can do for you.

I don't have a problem with voting systems,i do have a problem with people making assumptions about someones political affiliations without having any grounds for doing so,just in case you are implying anything.

As I have no idea what your political affiliations are, why would I. I'm not sure how you've come to that conclusion, and isn't relevant anyway. The reference to DC was an obvious one. I mentioned him only because he's in power. He's where he is not because of his birthright but because of an electoral system. If you agree with the status quo that queenie should stay head of state then why not apply the same principle to head of government or anything that needs the consent of the people via the ballot box? Cameron his children, his children's children?.....and do away with democracy altogether.

As I have no idea what your political affiliations are, why would I. I'm not sure how you've come to that conclusion, and isn't relevant anyway. The reference to DC was an obvious one. I mentioned him only because he's in power. He's where he is not because of his birthright but because of an electoral system. If you agree with the status quo that queenie should stay head of state then why not apply the same principle to head of government or anything that needs the consent of the people via the ballot box? Cameron his children, his children's children?.....and do away with democracy altogether.

Sorry i misunderstood,that may have had something to do with a previous remark from another poster on a different thread but never mind that.

You are saying that the principle of democracy is undermined because the monarchy is unelected and contradicts the system of democracy,but the Queen is a figurehead and has no political authority if she had authoritarian power i would be against that,she is just a constitutional monarch,but the position itself has power in my opinion. Her position is influential because of its tradition.

I'm fine with the way things are, the voting system and the rest, she has done a good job in my view.Sixty years isn't a bad record,and even though all the pomp and ceremony may seem ridiculous to some people in this day and age,if people like it whats wrong with that.

Archived