The Queen is remarkable.

The invasion of Poland triggered the Saar Offensive. A Western Front was both expected and inevitable.

In your scenario, Britain would have been cut off from the rest of the world and starved out - no invasion required.

You misunderstand me. We would not have been at war. In my scenario, we would have reached an accomodation with Germany after the fall of France, when Chamberlain resigned. Halifax had already sounded out the Swedes and Swiss as intermediaries. Our leaving the war at that point would have left Hitler free to attack Russia. In all probability he would have failed.

Tragically Churchill was made PM.

You misunderstand me. We would not have been at war. In my scenario, we would have reached an accomodation with Germany after the fall of France, when Chamberlain resigned. Halifax had already sounded out the Swedes and Swiss as intermediaries. Our leaving the war at that point would have left Hitler free to attack Russia. In all probability he would have failed.

Tragically Churchill was made PM.

So in essence you're saying we should have trusted Hitler?

Russia reached "an accommodation" with Germany.

So in essence you're saying we should have trusted Hitler?

Russia reached "an accommodation" with Germany.

Hitler was not interested in the UK, he wanted to expand east, to the open spaces of eastern Europe where the German race would have room to expand.

If we had made peace in 1940 we would have turned the two massive dictatorships against each other. Quite probably to their mutual destruction. The empire would have been saved and we would still be the dominant power in the world.

Instead we fought a people to whom in tradition and blood we are more closely associated than any other. From Marlborough to Wellington, our closest ally were the people who went on to become Germany. France, our traditional enemy we decided to side with against all logic.

The opportunist Americans took advantage of our situation and ruined us.

Would I trust Hitler, No, I wouldnt, but we did trust Roosevelt and look were it got us.

The empire would have been saved

The problem with revisionist views of history is that they disregard too many

fact(or)s. If you buy into the whole "Lebensraum" ideology, you also have to accept that an unopposed Germany under Hitler would have proceeded to re-establish the colonies lost in the Versailles Treaty, for example. And there is also the minor consideration that British colonies might eventually seek independence, anyway.

Archived