The Queen is remarkable.

The days of the 'stiff upper lip' have well and truly gone - thank God ! To see young people so excited about being there and representing their country was refreshing tbh.

What exactly does 'gold medal material' look like ? :)

You'd expect them to be excited and proud, but not jumping up and down screaming like 5 year olds.

As for "what exactly does gold medal material look like"? We'll soon see, won't we :)

I've said it before, if all those that don't like it want to go and pack there bags as quick as possible and go and live somewhere else, try a republic, thats fine by me...it's also not that difficult.
I live in a republic. The only trouble is half of the people are republicans.

I think she does the best she can under the circumstances. She's only human, after all. It must be terribly wearing to be on display all the time and expected to be a paragon of virtue and good behavior ALL the time. I know I would have freaked out, leaped out of my Rolls, beat the crap out of someone, then run screaming down the street by now. Or gotten drunk at a state dinner and either passed out in my plate or accidentally farted, then laughed hysterically about it.

She has to deal with the expectations of not only the British people, but people all over the world. Not to mention the public embarrassment of various family members with atrocious behavior. And she's often unfairly lumped in with them. She never knows if people really like her as a person, or because she's the queen. Something us peons will never have to concern ourselves with. And she can't go out in public without drawing a crowd. Though it might be fun always being shown to the front of the line. ;)

Of course, it's not all doom and gloom. She never has to clean her house or cook if she doesn't feel like it. She gets to have as many dogs and horses as she likes, and she can employ an army to clean up after them. She can dismiss people with a wave of her hand, and I can't deny, it must be hella fun to order people around. Dickie! Go find me the remote control, then bring me a meatball sandwich, some taco bell and a coke! And be quick about it! If my food is cold, heads are gonna roll! And don't slam that door.

It's one thing to be an elected politician. Those people chose to do what they do. The queen was born into her position, and she'll be the queen until the day she dies. In her lifetime, she's seen her empire shrink drastically and her country change in ways I'm sure she never imagined when she was a young girl.

In short, yes, God save the queen. I think she is indeed a remarkable woman and you could have done a whole lot worse.

Considering what she had to endure prior to her arrival at the stadium,is it surprising she was looking a little strained.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/2012olympics/attachement/jpg/site1/20120728/0023ae6cf369117d665501.jpg

And she visited the Olympic village this morning,which delighted the athletes.

The point is, the athletes are not privileged..they are there on merit and very hard work. Queenie is a privilege, she's there to represent the people of the UK..if she's not up to it then she needs replacing by someone that at least smiles and waves on a consistent basis. If she's going to pick her nails while Philip nods off as the the host nation makes an appearance then it's time for the young couple to take the reigns.

The point is, the athletes are not privileged..they are there on merit and very hard work. Queenie is a privilege, she's there to represent the people of the UK..if she's not up to it then she needs replacing by someone that at least smiles and waves on a consistent basis. If she's going to pick her nails while Philip nods off as the the host nation makes an appearance then it's time for the young couple to take the reigns.

Don't be so ageist,she isn't over the hill yet,and i hope she reigns for several more years, its possible she might outlive Charles.

Ok, your date didn't work out..jeez!
What? idiot! :rolleyes: Trying to persuade people to change their opinions by resorting to silly comments is highly unlikely to work. Or have we now reached the stage where only people who agree with your view, are allowed to express it?

I just find all this screaming and whooping at the slightest little thing excessive and silly. Until fairly recently people were expected to behave in a more restrained manner on official occasions. This was one of those occasions, imo. I don't care enough about it to try to change your mind by debating it with you or Daven, though.

Archived