Help stop kitten experiments at Cardiff University.

....and it isn't Thalidomide as such is it.

Yes it is. Thalidomide's effects come by inhibiting the growth of new vascular systems which is what accounts for it's use against cancers, and the effects on the foetus. The drug is called Thalomid and comes with some fairly strict warnings about what not to do with it.

Without animal testing? I dont think they would have done.

It taught them one thing I suppose that drugs can cross over from mother to foetus. We live and learn.

I admit that advances have been made i'd be foolish to deny it but I can't help but feel also that research is in some/a lot of cases done for the sake of it. Drugs companies have an awful lot of power and too many people in prominent positions so even when things do go wrong it can be glossed over as, lo and behold inquiries are carried out by interested parties, but hey I digress :)

I'm sorry but none of that makes sense at all. Research is only ever done for the sake of it because that's how you find new things - you don't research something already knowing the answer because then it's not research...

It certainly didn't tell them that drugs crossed from mother to foetus - that was known to my knowledge over a century ago. What it taught them was that a stronger testing regime is needed to test for all eventualities and that involves using close human analogs like mice and rats. There are other better animals for different types of research, so you also get cats, dogs, and primates as well.

I'm sorry but none of that makes sense at all. Research is only ever done for the sake of it because that's how you find new things - you don't research something already knowing the answer because then it's not research...

It certainly didn't tell them that drugs crossed from mother to foetus - that was known to my knowledge over a century ago. What it taught them was that a stronger testing regime is needed to test for all eventualities and that involves using close human analogs like mice and rats. There are other better animals for different types of research, so you also get cats, dogs, and primates as well.

Then your knowledge is lacking.

Archived