Illegal psychological experiments on Sheffield?

So somebody has been conducting psychological experiments on Sheffield!

Is there such a thing as legal psychological experiments? Ones that involve the unwilling or unknowing participant?

It's worse than that, according to the OP, it's based on the memory of a novel he read when he was younger.

It's not a novel. This book is about real life controlled experiments on the population. It was very interesting. In fact I need to find it and read it again as it was about 20 years ago when I read it.

Vance Packard is a respected non-fiction author. Many years ago I read his book 'The Hidden Persuaders.' I don't remember much about it except it was very interesting.

It is well documented that we are all subject to mass observations, though we only tend to hear about it when the results come out. Nothing sinister about this, they are used for things like traffic flows, shopping habits, etc.

Is it really such a stretch of the imagination to think that sometimes the variables might be manipulated to see what happens?

We are, however, the most spied upon nation with more street cameras and CCTV than any other country. Now I think this IS sinister. That, and the fact they never seem to be working when you actually need them to be.

I'll have to have a read up on that, it sounds interesting.

Let me save you the trouble:

This is composition of air in percent by volume, at sea level at 15°C and 101325 Pa.

Nitrogen -- N2 -- 78.084%

Oxygen -- O2 -- 20.9476%

Argon -- Ar -- 0.934%

Carbon Dioxide -- CO2 -- 0.0314%

Neon -- Ne -- 0.001818%

Methane -- CH4 -- 0.0002%

Helium -- He -- 0.000524%

Krypton -- Kr -- 0.000114%

Hydrogen -- H2 -- 0.00005%

Xenon -- Xe -- 0.0000087%

Ozone -- O3 -- 0.000007%

Nitrogen Dioxide -- NO2 -- 0.000002%

Iodine -- I2 -- 0.000001%

Carbon Monoxide -- CO -- trace

Ammonia -- NH3 -- trace

Reference: CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, edited by David R. Lide, 1997.

Let me save you the trouble:

This is composition of air in percent by volume, at sea level at 15°C and 101325 Pa.

Nitrogen -- N2 -- 78.084%

Oxygen -- O2 -- 20.9476%

Argon -- Ar -- 0.934%

Carbon Dioxide -- CO2 -- 0.0314%

Neon -- Ne -- 0.001818%

Methane -- CH4 -- 0.0002%

Helium -- He -- 0.000524%

Krypton -- Kr -- 0.000114%

Hydrogen -- H2 -- 0.00005%

Xenon -- Xe -- 0.0000087%

Ozone -- O3 -- 0.000007%

Nitrogen Dioxide -- NO2 -- 0.000002%

Iodine -- I2 -- 0.000001%

Carbon Monoxide -- CO -- trace

Ammonia -- NH3 -- trace

Reference: CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, edited by David R. Lide, 1997.

Thanks for the help but I do believe Rupert was referring to flatulence. :)

Vance Packard is a respected non-fiction author. Many years ago I read his book 'The Hidden Persuaders.' I don't remember much about it except it was very interesting.

It is well documented that we are all subject to mass observations, though we only tend to hear about it when the results come out. Nothing sinister about this, they are used for things like traffic flows, shopping habits, etc.

Is it really such a stretch of the imagination to think that sometimes the variables might be manipulated to see what happens?

We are, however, the most spied upon nation with more street cameras and CCTV than any other country. Now I think this IS sinister. That, and the fact they never seem to be working when you actually need them to be.

Sadly it seems that most of the general pop are happy to go on as blind sheep and let the (mad scientists) get away with their covert and sinister operations. I personally would prefer to expose what they are up too for everyone to see. Other than letting people know we are being experimented on, there is not much we can do, with out uniting and exposing them for what they really are. :)

Archived