Should Cassius Clay now retire from public?

I was thinking when I saw Cassius Clay Mohamed Ali at the Olympics that maybe now he should retire as his appearance and contribution to the ceremony was pitiful.

He cannot do much these days and they could easily have a wax work or something made up that could represent him instead (and it would be cheaper and less fidgety).

I don't think its fair on this once great champ to be used as a feature figure anymore, he is getting on and obviously in poor health and we should stop wheeling him out on stage and let him enjoy a retirement.

I was thinking when I saw Cassius Clay Mohamed Ali at the Olympics that maybe now he should retire as his appearance and contribution to the ceremony was pitiful.

He cannot do much these days and they could easily have a wax work or something made up that could represent him instead (and it would be cheaper and less fidgety).

I don't think its fair on this once great champ to be used as a feature figure anymore, he is getting on and obviously in poor health and we should stop wheeling him out on stage and let him enjoy a retirement.

That was him with his wife holding him up :confused:

One thing about Parkinson's disease; although it can turn a person into a quivering mass of jelly, it doesn't actually affect mental ability. As long as Muhammad Ali is still capable of somehow communicating his opinions to his daughter, we must assume that he was a happy and willing participant.

That said, I suspect that he is not long for this world; and, as cruel and insensitive as it may sound, I think he's past the point where death would be preferable to the sort of life he must now have. I watched a close relative deteriorate over twenty years with Parkinson's; it is not a fate I would wish on anyone.

I agree with you entirely. I would also add the queen, prince philip and also paul McCartney to that list however. It was great to see the Arctic Monkeys there and also listen to Pink Floyd.

I thought it was his daughter but I'm happy to be corrected.

Not sure now, could have been the daughter

I agree with you entirely. I would also add the queen, prince philip and also paul McCartney to that list however. It was great to see the Arctic Monkeys there and also listen to Pink Floyd.

I agree with Paul McCartney, his singing has gone down hill a bit hasn't it. He needed a bloke there to sing for him so that can't be a good sign if your a singer, I was thinking John Lennon could have done a decent job also had we dug him up and got a 'sing in' for him. In fact maybe we could get the Beatles back together if we go down this line of thought?

Archived