Should Cassius Clay now retire from public?

In some parts they STILL are HN, and you ought to see what the committee said about Tiger, when it was mentioned the 1st time about him going to Augusta.

They soon changed their tunes though, and were pretty soon falling over to get him there.

I've actually been to Augusta on occasion (not to play golf); I was surprised when they finally did change the club rules to allow him onto the course. I don't think I ever saw their original comments, but I can certainly imagine.

Even so, having private clubs that choose to disqualify a huge chunk of people because of their skin colour, is still a vast improvement on having government laws that do it.

I've actually been to Augusta on occasion (not to play golf); I was surprised when they finally did change the club rules to allow him onto the course. I don't think I ever saw their original comments, but I can certainly imagine.

Even so, having private clubs that choose to disqualify a huge chunk of people because of their skin colour, is still a vast improvement on having government laws that do it.

Yes, somewhere in that there is a twisted logic, not what you've wrote, more what you mean.....not a dig best way I can put it :)

I dont blame him for refusing to fight. If I was denied service in restaurants, forced to sit in the back of a bus, having to drink from a separate water fountain marked "colored" and being called "boy" by every knuckle dragging redneck then I would more than likely feel the same way.

A black soldier returning from WW2 could be refused service in any establishment at the whim of the owner yet German and Italian POWS were allowed to eat at those very same restaurants and treated no doubt to flirtatious smiles from the young things serving at the table.

I'm certainly not one to support dodging one's obligations to serve one's country but when a citizen of that country is treated as human refuse then there is in that instance every right to do so

So good on Ali. The man had guts

What about the other black soldiers? He also refused to help those.

What about if the USA came under attack from an aggressor? Would Ali and his like, fight to defend the country?

He shouldn't hold the whole white race to blame for some racists. If someone claimed all Muslims were in some way responsible for what the less desirable ones do, then there's be indignation.

Would, if he was young and fit in today's age, fight for the country, now racist attitudes have reduced? I doubt it.

It's a good point you make but to fight racism with racism is just as deplorable as the original act..

Well of course they did..There are many examples of black successful people. All of the USA was not racist...

Yes, all of the USA was racist. Racism was enshrined into law; not every single American will have been racist, but that's irrelevant when the law enforces discrimination.

What about the other black soldiers? He also refused to help those.

What about if the USA came under attack from an aggressor? Would Ali and his like, fight to defend the country?

He shouldn't hold the whole white race to blame for some racists. If someone claimed all Muslims were in some way responsible for what the less desirable ones do, then there's be indignation.

Would, if he was young and fit in today's age, fight for the country, now racist attitudes have reduced? I doubt it.

It's a good point you make but to fight racism with racism is just as deplorable as the original act..

Very true (in the hi-lighted statement) but when racism is condoned by law then that's a whole other matter.

Ali probably grew up in a society now long gone that made it a crime to violate laws that were passed to perpetuate racial discrimination. Rosa Parks who refused to give up her seat to a white male passenger on a Montgomery, Alabama public transport bus and was hauled off the bus and arrested is a prime example of a society that existed within a framework of laws that denied equality to each and all.

In todays society Ali would have no justification for refusing to serve his country but he isn't a child of today's society

Archived