Should Cassius Clay now retire from public?

I will admit, here, to being of that type. I get very uncomfortable at seeing visible disabled people (missing arms and legs, that sort of thing) in public roles.

However, I am reasonable enough to accept that just because it makes me uncomfortable is, absolutely and unequivocally, no reason at all for them not to do it. They're just as entitled to be in public as anyone else is, and if I have a problem with that it is my problem, not theirs.

So much ugliness to go around to fill your life if need be, that's regardless of anything visual. Personally what I find difficult is the politics. It's difficult to know how to approach, not because of your sensibilities but PC inflicted on disability by those who are not disabled. Being disabled must be very frustrating looking out from within.

It really is a pity that the old ones do not know when it is time to go.:(
I'm getting a bit up there myself. Believe me we know when its time to go, but we hang around, a misery to ourselves and a burden unto others.:hihi:

It really is a pity that the old ones do not know when it is time to go.:(
I'm getting a bit up there myself. Believe me we know when its time to go, but we hang around anyway, a misery to ourselves and a burden unto others.:hihi:

I was really upset to see a once proud and magnificent man reduced to the shell he now is due to the ravages of a terrible illness like Parkinson's. I have a close friend who has the same condition and a relation of mine lost her husband 18 months ago after he had suffered more than 20 years with it.

It is a vile illness that can strike anyone at any time in their lives and a bit like Motor Neurone in that although the sufferer finds it difficult to communicate and get around the mind is still just as sharp. Imagine going to bed tonight, then waking up tomorrow morning, you open your eyes, go to throw off the duvet and you can't move, you can't nudge your partner to alert them, or even call out to them. You know what is happening and what is going on around you but you just cannot do anything to stop it and neither can the medical profession. That is a crude description but the best way I can put it, the way it has been described to me.

All that aside, can you imagine the logistics and cost of getting him from the USA to London, the discomfort he must have endured just for a couple of minutes in the opening ceremony. Surely a video link to the USA would have been better for him. But that is only my opinion.

I wish him well and hope his final years in this world are made as comfortable as possible.

Surely he wanted to be there? As long as he wants to do it then why should society decide that only the young and the pretty should be role models?

Exactly. He must have agreed to do it...and unbelievably insulting of you (OP) to use his previous name which he rejected early in his adult life.

Archived