Should Cassius Clay now retire from public?

Exactly. He must have agreed to do it...and unbelievably insulting of you (OP) to use his previous name which he rejected early in his adult life.

Why is it insulting? A lot of people know him by that name, he was a boxer also under that name and it was the name given to him. The fact that he has chosen a new name is irrelevant if people know who you are talking about.

I still ask for Marathons in the shop and guess what... the people there hand me a snickers, no one takes offense and we are all happy.

I think your petty point should not have even gotten a reply but you got one anyhow, now give yourself a pat on the back for being the first to point out the obvious.

Insulting :loopy:

Glad you picked up on that too- not necessary at all.

Grow up...

Not necessary?

so you deny that he was Cassius Clay for a great deal of his life?

It is only in the title that he is called by his original name and then the first post corrects this for all you sad people that would want to go on a mission of correction. Its a good job I use spell checker or I would really be in for a rollocking.

He's not a great man, even though he was a great sportsman. It seems all his failings are forgot because he was a great boxer. He refused to fight for his country when asked, he's repeatedly made racist comments and regards women as lesser beings...

To be honest, now its been mentioned, I thought of him a better man as Cassius Clay and so will always refer to him as that as my first preference.

He seemed to gain a lot of failings once he turned Muslim, but hey that's just my opinion and to many he is an idol so I prefer the topic not to go down that road.

Its maybe worth starting another topic over though if people want to debate about his moral standing?

I don't think he even had the brains back then to think for himself, too many people telling him what to do, he was too daft to question anything, they just told him to keep floating like a butterfly...well take care of the rest.

I was thinking when I saw Cassius Clay Mohamed Ali at the Olympics that maybe now he should retire as his appearance and contribution to the ceremony was pitiful.

He cannot do much these days and they could easily have a wax work or something made up that could represent him instead (and it would be cheaper and less fidgety).

I don't think its fair on this once great champ to be used as a feature figure anymore, he is getting on and obviously in poor health and we should stop wheeling him out on stage and let him enjoy a retirement.

If I know him he will have wanted to do it for himself and if he feels he is able to, why shouldn't he?

Archived