Should Cassius Clay now retire from public?

People unfamiliar with the details of Parkinson's may not realise this. Because anything they try to say or write comes out as dribbling gibberish, many don't realise that the mind can still be as sharp as ever.

I lost my dad to Parkinsons disease and I helped to nurse him to the end. He NEVER spoke dribbling gibberish but was perfectly able to speak right up to the point he lapsed into a coma at the end. He was a very clever man and his mind was as sharp as a pin to the day he died.

Writing is obviously affected by the tremor as are things such as mobility , feeding themselves etc but not necessarily speech.

He wasn't asked, he was forced, and good that he fought back. Vietnam was a complete mess.

Should he retire from public? It's his choice, and his choice alone.

I doubt we could have won WW2 with that attitude. Vietnam was a mess I agree, but when your country calls on you to serve you do so, no matter what. The Armed services are not a labour union, nor should they be. Too many managed to dodge Vietnam, some of them current major US politicians including Romney and Obama, Bush and Cheney, and Clinton, plus the worst human born since Hitler, Rush Limbaugh.:rant:

I doubt we could have won WW2 with that attitude. Vietnam was a mess I agree, but when your country calls on you to serve you do so, no matter what. The Armed services are not a labour union, nor should they be. Too many managed to dodge Vietnam, some of them current major US politicians including Romney and Obama, Bush and Cheney, and Clinton, plus the worst human born since Hitler, Rush Limbaugh.:rant:

My country right or wrong. Just obeying orders. Hmmm.

Obama? Did they send schoolchildren to fight in Vietnam? No wonder you lost.

I was thinking when I saw Cassius Clay Mohamed Ali at the Olympics that maybe now he should retire as his appearance and contribution to the ceremony was pitiful.

He cannot do much these days and they could easily have a wax work or something made up that could represent him instead (and it would be cheaper and less fidgety).

I don't think its fair on this once great champ to be used as a feature figure anymore, he is getting on and obviously in poor health and we should stop wheeling him out on stage and let him enjoy a retirement.

Perhaps attending public sporting events doesn't upset Ali as much as it upsets you to see him attending these events??

You may want to take a few moments to ask yourself why?

Grow up...

Not necessary?

so you deny that he was Cassius Clay for a great deal of his life?

It is only in the title that he is called by his original name and then the first post corrects this for all you sad people that would want to go on a mission of correction. Its a good job I use spell checker or I would really be in for a rollocking.

He's been Ali for almost 50 now years - a name he choose . So yep do think it is disrespectful to use a name he doesn't choose to recognise himself by.

And the analogy to Marathon is a bit sad too Tbh.

I lost my dad to Parkinsons disease and I helped to nurse him to the end. He NEVER spoke dribbling gibberish but was perfectly able to speak right up to the point he lapsed into a coma at the end. He was a very clever man and his mind was as sharp as a pin to the day he died.

Writing is obviously affected by the tremor as are things such as mobility , feeding themselves etc but not necessarily speech.

Speech is usually also affected, because of the control required to move lips and tongue. Certainly in our own family's case, although it was perfectly obvious that the mind was fully intact and what was intended to be spoken was coherent, meaningful sentences - what actually reached our ears was completely unintelligible.

I'm happy to know that, amongst all the many other sufferings any victim of Parkinson's must undergo, your father managed to avoid this one.

He's not a great man, even though he was a great sportsman. It seems all his failings are forgot because he was a great boxer. He refused to fight for his country when asked, he's repeatedly made racist comments and regards women as lesser beings...

Do you feel he was wrong refusing to fight for his country?

What was it he said when he justified his reasons for refusing to fight for his so called country?

"No vietcong has ever called me 'N*****!"

Very apt I thought.

Muhammad Ali considered "Cassius Clay" to be his slave-name, which is one of the reasons why he rejected it on his conversion.

He stopped acknowledging "Cassius Clay" as his name in 1964, at the age of 22. he is now 70, so he has certainly been known as Ali over twice as long as he was known as Clay.

Archived