Engine Management light on Focus

This is also true. 9/10 it is a sensor that has gone, rather than an actual part e.g. the oxygen sensor in the exhaust is a favourite.

It might be something like a coil pack though, which won't affect performance much if you've just lost 1 out of 4 of them (though are worth replacing for £50 odd).

a coil pack wont affect the running? i think it will mate. does not matter if you have 4.

Mine was supplied with a manual with all of the codes in the back so you can look it up !

Cool. Google usually takes me to the Cupra forum which has loads of useful information on it, or here: http://engine-codes.com/.

if your going to do that you really need to understand what the fault means in order to fix it.

All the info about what each code means is on the internet (or the manual). Then you can decide if it's worth taking to a garage to get fixed or not. And if it is worth fixing you go to the garage with the diagnosics information and a good idea what the solution should be, which means you are a lot less likely to get ripped off than if you go in clueless.

a coil pack wont affect the running? i think it will mate. does not matter if you have 4.

I did a few hundred miles on 3 when 1 of mine went over xmas one year. It was like driving at 90% power, but wasn't the end of the world.

I always go to Loxley Motors mine has come on a couple of times once he didn't charge me as it was a fault the second time I needed some work and it wasn't too bad.

You still shouldn't be paying out at all for what is akin to putting a thermometer in your kid's mouth to see if they need to go to the doctors.

Get your self on ebay and buy a obd2 scanner / code reader for around £15 brand-new and it will bring up the fault code which is all explained in a manual supplied.

You will then be able to delete the fault which will turn off the engine management light, you will need to fix the problem that the obd2 scanner has brought up or the engine management light will reappear.

There are loads of people on here who have no clue about mechanics on here who are selling this service from buying a scanner off of ebay for just over a tenner so beware !

This.

£15 device from ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=obd2+U480&_sacat=0&_odkw=obd2&_osacat=0

Garages will charge you £50+ just to plug in their one of them and look up the error code on google.

If only it was that simple. EOBD can be useful, but is generic and does not read all engine fault codes. The only codes it is required to read are to do with components which will directly affect the emissions. This is what EOBD (or OBDII in America) was designed for. Not only that, it can sometimes give false descriptions of codes that may mean different things on different vehicles.

Also, it won't touch ABS, SRS (airbags) or any other system.

I'm not saying don't buy one, by all means do, they are cheap as chips. Just don't put your faith in them 100%, especially if you don't know much about cars.

It might be something like a coil pack though, which won't affect performance much if you've just lost 1 out of 4 of them (though are worth replacing for £50 odd).

It will affect the performance. Also over time it can damage your catalytic converter and even wash the cylinder, which is a BAD thing.

Even worse, on Ford Focus's, they are prone to the coil pack spiking the ECU when they go. This is not cheap to fix :(

If only it was that simple. EOBD can be useful, but is generic and does not read all engine fault codes. The only codes it is required to read are to do with components which will directly affect the emissions. This is what EOBD (or OBDII in America) was designed for. Not only that, it can sometimes give false descriptions of codes that may mean different things on different vehicles.

Also, it won't touch ABS, SRS (airbags) or any other system.

I'm not saying don't buy one, by all means do, they are cheap as chips. Just don't put your faith in them 100%, especially if you don't know much about cars.

Agreed they are not 100% but I have only ever had the obd2 scanner fail on 1 car out of loads that I have repaired so for £15 they are well worth the money !

You are right it will not touch ABS, SRS (airbags) or any other system's and only the more expensive scanners will but you can actually buy off of ebay scanners that will sort out ABS, SRS etc but only for ie jap or german, french if you get me and they are only around £40.

Agreed they are not 100% but I have only ever had the obd2 scanner fail on 1 car out of loads that I have repaired so for £15 they are well worth the money !

You are right it will not touch ABS, SRS (airbags) or any other system's and only the more expensive scanners will but you can actually buy off of ebay scanners that will sort out ABS, SRS etc but only for ie jap or german, french if you get me and they are only around £40.

If you mean the Autel Maxidiag (not to be confused with the similarly named Autel Maxidas, which is a serious bit of kit), I've never seen one for less than £100. They are a good bit of kit but they stopped releasing software updates/support for them in 2007

If you can show me something similar for £40 I'd be very interested to take a look*.

At the end of the day though, code readers are code readers, not diagnostic machines. With some EOBD units you can take live readings from the basics (RPM, vehicle speed, O2 on some vehicles, etc.) but you can't actually test or actuate any components, neither can you take readings from individual sensors. There's no substitute for the real deal, but once again, £15 is cheap as chips and worth having (if you don't already have something better :wink:).

EDIT: *Excluding VAG systems

Archived