Looking for a car if your Car Dumb.

If you're careful and have one your homework on what is the right car for you, size, insurance wise you should be able to get a decent car for about £750. Go for cars with 12 months MOT, full s/h and low mileage, preferably ownd by an elderly couple- Jap cars are best as they have no problems with reliability. Take someone with you when you go to look (who either knows a bit about cars) or someone who has mechanical knowledge who has owned several cars as that person is likely to be unbiased about giving you an opinion. Go to see the car in daylight, and have a test drive checking everything works, brakes, gears, steering, theres no nasty clonks or horrible noises/smells. A clean engine bay, with no oil leaks is usually a good start. A badly cared for car usually has giveaway signs from the outside that its been abused Take cash to haggle. Do not buy off a car lot or a big dealer as the price will be inflated. Some nice cars on ebay if you know what you're looking for. Cars to go for Nissan Micra, Toyota, Mazda, avoid Rovers like the plague-I saw a nice Ford Ka for £300 the other day, surprising how many cars on Ebay don't sell. The last 2 cars I have sold on Ebay I made a small profit on each one, shocking also how many car dealers came in for them,offering silly prices, one guy from Crooks told me I was lucky to get his derisory offer obviously trying to get me to sell cheap so he could make a profit. Take your time choosing don't hurry. Good Luck.

ATB ;)

i bought a 10 year old ford focus last year and quite frankly its the best car ive ever had,

I bought a 10 year old ford focus, two years ago, and agree with you, it is the best car I have ever had. Cheap insurance, cheap road tax, as it is diesel, and runs for miles on a tank of fuel.

Dark colour cars retain more heat, which makes them uncomfortably warm in summer and less horribly cold in winter.

If you at least have enough wit to know that you're a complete idiot when it comes to cars, the best thing to do is to find someone who does know what they're talking about and ask them to accompany you on your visits to dealers. It's what I would do, since I wouldn't recognise a dodgy looking engine if someone hit me over the head with it.

I don't know whether there is anyone making a living out of charging, say, £50 to help you spend your money wisely; usually it's a case of getting a relative or friend to help you out.

Thats all good advice.

Thanks.

Ive been looking locally to see if anyone does offer that service.

The AA and RAC only offer a single car at a time policy so i couldnt get one of their boys to go to 2 or 3 cars in the same day as they would charge me around £150 :(

I used to know a mechanic who was cheap but hes in prison now so i dont thin he will be much help :(

It isnt easy :(

I want a car for £1000 or less that isnt a rust bucket and is safe and runs well.

This seems like an impossible task.

I bought my wife an 8 year old Vauxhall Corsa SXI few weeks ago- these are relatively cheap to buy (but a decent one may be out of your budget if £1k is what you wish to spend). Also worth looking at Ford- Focus/Fiesta.

If you can get across to Halifax I recommend going to Runabout Warehouse- these guys will help you and not rip you off. All their cars are checked and come with 60 point check list.

http://runaboutwarehouse.co.uk/cars/

I bought my wife an 8 year old Vauxhall Corsa SXI few weeks ago- these are relatively cheap to buy (but a decent one may be out of your budget if £1k is what you wish to spend). Also worth looking at Ford- Focus/Fiesta.

If you can get across to Halifax I recommend going to Runabout Warehouse- these guys will help you and not rip you off. All their cars are checked and come with 60 point check list.

http://runaboutwarehouse.co.uk/cars/

Thats ace.

Thanks.!!!

I have family in Halifax so if i dont find anything locally i can take a trip and visit the rellies at the same time :)

Archived