Not much gold in a gold medal..

Isn't gold too soft to be used to make solid gold medals - they'd be chipped, scratched and dinted within hours?

They don't get worn for long so even if they were made of 24 carat gold they wouldn't get damaged. The reason they're not solid gold is cost I presume.

In the same way there's no silver in silver coinage any more and no copper in copper coins.

As a rough guide.. using the scrap gold prices on some buy-your-gold-rip-off-merchant site the 1 current gold medal would cost in the region of £12,000 - £13,000 at 24 carat or around £5K at 9 carat. So that's a conservative scrappage estimate..

Was going to start a thread on this but you beat me to it!

‎100 years ago the Olympic Gold medals were actually made out of Gold! Today an Olympic Gold medal is just 1.34% Gold (92.5% Silver and 6.16% Copper).

http://www.london2012.com/medals/about/

Medal specification

- The London 2012 Olympic medals weigh 375-400g, are 85mm in diameter and 7mm thick.

- The gold medal is made up of 92.5% silver and 1.34% gold, with the remainder copper (a minimum of 6g of gold).

- The silver medal is made up of 92.5% silver, with the remainder copper.

- The bronze medal is made up of 97.0% copper, 2.5% zinc and 0.5% tin.

The precious ore for the medals has been supplied by London 2012 sponsor Rio Tinto and was mined at Kennecott Utah Copper Mine near Salt Lake City in America, as well as from the Oyu Tolgoi project in Mongolia. For the small amount of non-precious elements that make up the bronze medals, the zinc was sourced from a mine in Australia as well as from recycled stock, while the tin originates from a mine in Cornwall.

Archived