Does Education Really Make You Smarter?

Not everyone will want the burden of debt.And certain religions proscribe the acquisition of debts eg Janism,Church of latter Day Saints and the Nomeanfeats.

Having the capacity and wanting to are two different things..the choice is there for anyone really...don't mormons go to uni in the 'states?

• 4 months later...
Most private schools are selective, so your the thick ones don't get in, unless their parents are really rich. State education is the same, the quality of education depends on how much you are prepared to pay for a house in the right catchment area. Another option for Sheffielders is to be Catholic, and get in either All Saints or Notre dame if you cannot afford to live in S10 or S17.

and then you find out that they are bussing in loads of kids from poor areas of the city who don't have English as their first language and have no intention to learn at all - or integrate. And they lower the educational attainment standards of the school.

• 2 months later...

I would ask should teachers be rewarded for students who go into work whether in ten or five years time. And the opposite should teachers be fined for students who don't find work?

I cant believe some of the kids trying to get work as they are a liability to themselves and those around them. And people come to the UK to be educated :loopy:

My secondary school education almost finished me. I went to what was at the time, the worst school in Sheffield (Chaucer).

It sounds daft but it was seen as a weakness to want to learn anything and I can honestly say I promptly learnt precisley zilch at school, besides several racist insults.

Since school, i've taught myself maths and physics, completed a science access course and I'm starting an astrophysics degree in September.

At several university open days, better off parents than my own have questioned why on earth I would be interested in science with where I come from (North Sheffield).

How do these parents no where you come from? And how do you know how well off they are?

I'd like to think I can fight the corner for public education but I'm pretty sure these private schooled snobs are going to wipe the floor with me.

The majority of people at university (unless you're going to oxbridge) will be from a state school background just like you.

---------- Post added 07-03-2013 at 15:40 ----------

^^^What he says.

There is, however, a difference between someone who is very intelligent but is uneducated and someone of a similar level of intelligence who has received lots of stimulation, education and support through their learning.

This, combined with the 'old boys' network', can account for most of the difference between going to a comprehensive and a really good private school.

I think it's a bit harsh to imply that going to a comprehensive school is the same as being basically uneducated.

^^^What he says.

There is, however, a difference between someone who is very intelligent but is uneducated and someone of a similar level of intelligence who has received lots of stimulation, education and support through their learning.

This, combined with the 'old boys' network', can account for most of the difference between going to a comprehensive and a really good private school.

Have you experience of both sectors?Many state schools outperform the public schools in terms of enhancing the relative progress made.

You can be smart despite having only rudimentary education,but educate someone who is already smart and you have a gem.

Have you experience of both sectors?

Have you?

You do this a lot, imply that someone else lacks the necessary expertise or experience to have an opinion, but that you have it... I've yet to see any evidence that you do though.

Archived