3D printers are scary.

Well not scary just awesome but they will be scary to the governments when tech like this is available.

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/onepercent/2012/07/3d-printed-gun.html

How will governments react when in a few years fully functioning guns will be able to be printed.It will be like Christmas for criminals.

How good are 3D printers when the high end ones can already print metal objects.Going to mars is a lot easier when you can print up whatever you want.

It is quite easy to make guns, bullets and rockets now, and of course convert others. Children often make simple guns to play.

I made my first crossbow when I was 9, my first firing gun when I was 14. It wasn't hard and I didn't have a 3D printer.

The term '3-D Printing' wasn't explained very clearly.

Presumably, the part wasn't 'printed' on something using ink.

If you had an automated machine which moulded a part out of plastic (a 3-D moulding) would that be '3-D printing'?

Haven't automated moulding machines been around for very many years?

The term '3-D Printing' wasn't explained very clearly.

Presumably, the part wasn't 'printed' on something using ink.

If you had an automated machine which moulded a part out of plastic (a 3-D moulding) would that be '3-D printing'?

Haven't automated moulding machines been around for very many years?

Yes. There was a similar thread recently about 3D printers being something "new". They were wrong.

EDIT: Here

You appear to misunderstand the article. The gun hasn't been printed successfully, just a part.

No i put underneath "in a few years" which would be correct.The tech is just getting better even if they have been around for a few years.

This is just the lower stock,the part that needs to be registered for gun control.

It won`t be long before it is taken a step further though.The files are already available for it.

Once you are able to use multi material stock then the sky is the limit, anything could be built.

No i put underneath "in a few years" which would be correct.The tech is just getting better even if they have been around for a few years.

This is just the lower stock,the part that needs to be registered for gun control.

It won`t be long before it is taken a step further though.The files are already available for it.

But people have been making their own guns for years, without 3D printing. It's not scary.

What's more impressive is what you can do

these days !

Well not scary just awesome but they will be scary to the governments when tech like this is available.

Why will it be scary to the government?

How will governments react when in a few years fully functioning guns will be able to be printed.It will be like Christmas for criminals.

You are assuming that the criminals will be able to use CAD and program the machine. It will be easier and quicker for them to just get a real gun rather than have one made with a 3D printer, which may or may not work properly.

Why will it be scary to the government?

You are assuming that the criminals will be able to use CAD and program the machine. It will be easier and quicker for them to just get a real gun rather than have one made with a 3D printer, which may or may not work properly.

It doesn`t really need a criminal to use it does it.It just needs someone to churn them out and sell them.

Archived