3D printers are scary.

It doesn`t really need a criminal to use it does it.It just needs someone to churn them out and sell them.

I can't see how it'll make things worse. By "churn" do you mean "wait a long time for each part to print and then eventually assemble it, hoping it works" ?

It doesn`t really need a criminal to use it does it.It just needs someone to churn them out and sell them.

Someone to churn them out?

There will be a number of processes. - Making a barrel is a different process to making a magazine, or a trigger sear etc.

Would it be cost-effective for someone to make the guns? - You'd probably need to make quite a few to cover the costs of the machinery.

I refer you to Adam Smith 'Wealth of Nations' 'Of the division of Labour'

Well not scary just awesome but they will be scary to the governments when tech like this is available.

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/onepercent/2012/07/3d-printed-gun.html

How will governments react when in a few years fully functioning guns will be able to be printed.It will be like Christmas for criminals.

How good are 3D printers when the high end ones can already print metal objects.Going to mars is a lot easier when you can print up whatever you want.

You can get Kyber pass copies of firearms built by people in tin sheds. Making a working rifle or handgun isn't especially tricky. Shotguns are even easier. Making one that is accurate at long range and repeatable is the expensive part that demands precision engineering but a simple shotgun bangstick is a no brainer. It's harder to make the propellant and primers than it is to make the actual gun.

Yes. There was a similar thread recently about 3D printers being something "new". They were wrong.

EDIT: Here

Indeed, the company I worked for until 2001 had already been involved in "3D printing" or as we knew it "rapid prototyping".

The technology, no doubt, has moved on since but I have to say that when I saw my first machine delivering up a newly-designed part in next to no time it was truly a "wow" moment.

Its only going to get worse as more non techy writers produce a piece on modern technology where they've only skimmed through the press release.

"Right now", which is the point the article points out. For example: the internet can only be so fast if you throw it through a telephone wire, but new technology can make it better.10 years ago people were lucky with a 1 meg connection and now can get 200 meg.

Ten years ago, we couldn't make a gun part at all from any kind of 3D printer. Now they have the capability to (supposedly) fire 200 rounds from a printed AR receiver.

The point of the article is that a technically skilled man can soon make a gun, and the point of the post is that a technically skilled man already can.

Technology is just making it cheaper and faster.

The files are in the open for CAD files for an assault rifle.

But you know better because you are "techy".

The point of the article is that a technically skilled man can soon make a gun, and the point of the post is that a technically skilled man already can.
Do you have any idea at all about the material and equipment costs required? Do you even know how much a 3D printer costs, even roughly?

The article (unsurprisingly, poorly researched as it is) does not make any mention of these not-so-insignificant barriers to adopting such technology for the purpose.

Having worked in past times, and again very recently, with 3D printing technology (yours to see some of which, in a patent application to be published in the very near future), I can assure you that -where criminals are concerned- it will still be way more economical to smuggle in real weapons, than to make them with such technology, for at least another few decades if not longer.

EDIT - by the way, for additional context, I thought useful to add/explain what a 'receiver' is: in the photo of the article, the receiver is the 'middle' part (portion) between the stock and the barrel (most of the barrel is covered by the outer tube with the 'ribbing'), excluding the grip handle, the trigger mech, all internals (firing pin, spring, gas tube etc.), magazine, the carry handle, etc. It's a piece of shaped metal (usually, i.e. when not printed in 3D as a plastic or starch composite), about as harmful as a lump of die-stamped or CNC-machined steel. I suppose you could injure someone by throwing it at them hard enough ;)

You are completely failing to see the revolutionary benefits that 3D printing will have for all of our lives.

I have a thread about this very subject here...

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=996092

The article in this thread also completely neglects to talk about how people can have their own 3D printers at home and the DIY possibilities we all could have in making our very own products at home, locally and without the need to ship goods and materials thousands of gas guzling miles across the world, whole products can be produced locally and customised to suit individual needs.

You are completely failing to see the revolutionary benefits that 3D printing will have for all of our lives.

I have a thread about this very subject here...

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=996092

The article in this thread also completely neglects to talk about how people can have their own 3D printers at home and the DIY possibilities we all could have in making our very own products at home, locally and without the need to ship goods and materials thousands of gas guzling miles across the world, whole products can be produced locally and customised to suit individual needs.

What are the revolutionary benefits?

Archived