3D printers are scary.

Imagine when a 3D printer can lay-down molecule on molecule or atom on atom and create atomic stuctures,

you might be able to download your brain into big lump of 3D printed Silicon:- Welcome to the Matrix.

Now that would be really Scary!

Imagine when a 3D printer can lay-down molecule on molecule or atom on atom and create atomic stuctures,

you might be able to download your brain into big lump of 3D printed Silicon:- Welcome to the Matrix.

Now that would be really Scary!

We are nearing that possibility already with the new generation of memristors :o

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I have recently asked a question on this subject - I am searching for a rapid prototyping firm in Sheffield and happened across a local company called MK1Prototypes. I will be sending an inquiry across soon for them to further develop a product I am currently working on. They use a process called FDM.

This is also all very new to myself and already one main advantage is very clear - the cost of '2' injection molding tools (for my project) runs into 10's of thousands for mass manufacture. I can have a plastic FDM prototype created by a firm such as MK1Prototypes and straight away have a fully functional product I can test, use, touch, feel and take with me to meetings (the meetings where I will be selling my product).

So - a few hundred to 1000 pounds on a prototype to test the market with / sell the product to stores etc.. VS going straight in cutting big money metal tools. This is the main advantage for rapid prototyping - amongst many many others.

Check out MK1Prototypes.com They explain and show some great examples, I found out lots of info there.

Sam

• 7 months later...

Working gun made with 3D printer

The world's first gun made with 3D printer technology has been successfully fired in the US.

The controversial group which created the firearm, Defense Distributed, plans to make the blueprints available online.

The group has spent a year trying to create the firearm, which was successfully tested on Saturday at a firing range south of Austin, Texas.

Anti-gun campaigners have criticised the project.

Europe's law enforcement agency said it was monitoring developments.

Victoria Baines, from Europol's cybercrime centre, said that at present criminals were more likely to pursue traditional routes to obtain firearms.

She added, however: "But as time goes on and as this technology becomes more user friendly and more cost effective, it is possible that some of these risks will emerge."

Defense Distributed is headed by Cody Wilson, a 25-year-old law student at the University of Texas.

Mr Wilson said: "I think a lot of people weren't expecting that this could be done."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22421185

The term '3-D Printing' wasn't explained very clearly.

Presumably, the part wasn't 'printed' on something using ink.

If you had an automated machine which moulded a part out of plastic (a 3-D moulding) would that be '3-D printing'?

Haven't automated moulding machines been around for very many years?

The Z310PLUS is priced from just £16,400 ex. works, plus shipping, accessories & VAT cant see this catching on till the price comes down

The Z310PLUS is priced from just £16,400 ex. works, plus shipping, accessories & VAT cant see this catching on till the price comes down

Are you for real? A good laser cutting machine can cost £700,000,that only cut things, you don't go out much do you

A normal family. Car cost more then that

Archived