Park Hill and Urban Splash Megathread

SCC didn't apply for it to be listed it was done by English Heritage.

Nope. They applied to English Heritage to be listed to get a grant.

They massively underestimated the cost and £2m got swallowed up pretty much straight away leaving the council with a huge funding gap but once it was listed they couldn't knocked it down. Huge white elephant for SCC.

Thats why they had to bring in private developers but i think they realised that they had bitten off more than they could chew.

Nope. They applied to English Heritage to be listed to get a grant.

They massively underestimated the cost and £2m got swallowed up pretty much straight away leaving the council with a huge funding gap but once it was listed they couldn't knocked it down. Huge white elephant for SCC.

Thats why they had to bring in private developers but i think they realised that they had bitten off more than they could chew.

Source please. My understanding was that English Heritage went against the grain getting Park Hill listed and the council wished to demolish the building as they had Hyde park and others. It must have been clear to everyone even in the mid-ninties that once the building was listed a refurbishment on the scale of the one in progress would be necessary, £2 million would bearly touch the sides! Private investment was always going to be required, although it would have probably been a good idea for the council to pick a partner who actually had the money in the first place, then they could get the bloody thing finished sometime soon.

Source please. My understanding was that English Heritage went against the grain getting Park Hill listed and the council wished to demolish the building as they had Hyde park and others. It must have been clear to everyone even in the mid-ninties that once the building was listed a refurbishment on the scale of the one in progress would be necessary, £2 million would bearly touch the sides! Private investment was always going to be required, although it would have probably been a good idea for the council to pick a partner who actually had the money in the first place, then they could get the bloody thing finished sometime soon.

Actually i was wrong.......it was £6m

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/241650.stm

Worst decision ever!

Edited by Clown Shoes

They did, it is St Paul's tower and isn't exactly a roaring success either. For apartments to be successful you need people that want to live in apartments. People in this country (and the Netherlands, Germany, Scandinavia and so on) tend to not like them for a number of reasons.

That's only been open a couple of years, and to be fair they're not that bad really £160k for a 2 bed flat, en-suite and stuff - it looks alrite.

I guess there's no real draw to live right in the city centre, most people would prefer to live slightly further out, get a larger place for the same money.

Very few developers actually have the money, they usually borrow it from the banks. The credit crunch is what put the current development under pressure. It hit the developers ability to pay back their current debts by curtailing their sales, and it also hit their ability to borrow more money to fiancee their existing projects.

A fantastic building and for around the first 15 years a great place to live, especially for the people who were rehoused from the slum clearance programme. It started to fall apart when people stopped respecting their neighbours and their environment and very soon the village atmosphere disappeared.

from an ex resident