Park Hill and Urban Splash Megathread

when parkhill first opened they were the bees knees only when the put undesireables in they started going downhill. i have seen anything from used nappies to television sets thrown from the upper floors.lived on hague row and saw suicides. but at first the life on parkhill was fantastic the pubs were always buzzing and nighbours used tostand on their doors chatting.

....swap your'e quote "Park Hill" with....

...most new Sheffield estates +50 years (2 generations ) ???????:roll::roll:

I think they will go downhill fast, I can remember when I first visited Sheffield many years ago stepping out of the railway station and seeing that bloody eyesore, it made my heart sink. I don't think they have made any great lasting improvement in my opinion, I wouldn't want to live there.

As for the scathing bigoted remarks regarding 'types of people' I think that is altogether another sociological issue to do with economic inequality, it amuses me to think some people expect that others who are given no respect in a society should be respectful.

Edited by NorthernStar

nIt looks like it'll be much better than it was, if they ever complete it.

I think I have to disagree, it just sticks out now, though it does look cleaner. It is not my idea of a nice building, though the original idea was nice, it does not work well in today's time and I wish the powers that be would accept that.

I do not know anyone that would choose to live there, though it will be nice for house association and council tenants to have somewhere to go that is modern after so much old and decaying housing stock has been knocked down. Though I personally thought small houses with gardens for children would have been more suited to peoples needs.

Edited by Ms Macbeth
fixed quotes

Up close it does look like it could be ok when it's done, at least better than it was. It's always stuck out, that was the idea of it, the coloured panels make it brighter at least. The bottom floors are all glass fronted, looks like there will be shops & restaurants according to the plans. They're tidying up the area around Park Hill too. They're even building an amphitheatre on the hill behind the station.

It's at least better than the decaying shell that we've had for the last few years.

It will be interesting to see how the sales go in the first phase. The estate will only have a minority of social tenancies in future, the majority will be owner occupied, and part buy/part rent. When people have that kind of investment in a place, it usually means the general standards will be better - which can only be good news for the small number of people who have lived there for years and wish to remain.

Many of the problems that Parkhill has faced are similar to other large social housing estates as a result of lettings policies. These have led to concentrations of poverty, worklessness, and vulnerable and/or dysfunctional households. It is accepted that mixed tenure housing is the way forward. We won't see any more monolithic council estates being built!

If Urban Splash turn Park Hill into a decent place to live it could attract a good mix of buyers and tenants. The flats are large, and the views are fantastic. It is also ideally suited for rail commuters. I wouldn't write it off. ;)

I think they will go downhill fast, I can remember when I first visited Sheffield many years ago stepping out of the railway station and seeing that bloody eyesore, it made my heart sink. I don't think they have made any great lasting improvement in my opinion, I wouldn't want to live there.

As for the scathing bigoted remarks regarding 'types of people' I think that is altogether another sociological issue to do with economic inequality, it amuses me to think some people expect that others who are given no respect in a society should be respectful.

I think that Parkhill will be a resounding success. Architecturally they are so much superior to any other High Rise in the City .

Unfortunately there are people who post derogatory remarks against people who have perhaps not been as fortunate by BIRTH , disability, education etc etc, and these posters are to be pittyied for there narrow and sad outlook on life in our City!

Unfortunately there are people who post derogatory remarks against people who have perhaps not been as fortunate by BIRTH , disability, education etc etc, and these posters are to be pittyied for there narrow and sad outlook on life in our City!

That's as maybe, but there's no need to steal, rape, do drugs or not work no matter where you were brought up. I was born and raised on the Badger and I never turned to crime. I worked hard at school, worked hard in engineering and when I'd got a bit of money saved went to University part time as a mature student.

They say hard work never hurts anyone. I think a lot of people are scared of even trying to better themselves.

That's as maybe, but there's no need to steal, rape, do drugs or not work no matter where you were brought up. I was born and raised on the Badger and I never turned to crime. I worked hard at school, worked hard in engineering and when I'd got a bit of money saved went to University part time as a mature student.

They say hard work never hurts anyone. I think a lot of people are scared of even trying to better themselves.

Every word you say is true and applies to all members of society rich and poor.

I think that Parkhill will be a resounding success. Architecturally they are so much superior to any other High Rise in the City .

I like many young people in Sheffield will have the unfortunate situation were buying a property outright is out of my reach, due to over inflated prices, and have to rent, yet some posters on here label renters as trouble makers and 'scum'.

I think if most of the 50+ generation were trying to get on the property ladder nowadays they would also struggle with no capital, less lenders and high valuations.

Renting a property is the first step for most youngsters being independant.