Park Hill and Urban Splash Megathread

As we are stuck with the building, shouldn't the people of Sheffield be supporting Urban Splash in order to change it from a run down hellhole into something we can all be proud of? If the project is a success, the entire local area would be transformed into somewhere stylish to live, plus restaurants, bars and retail establishments in addition to the amphitheatre. Surely this is more constructive than wishing it to go down the pan?

will urban splash be giving the money it borrowed back to the taxpayers out of the profits it makes?

Highly unlkely. Don't forget that the upkeep of the complex will run into millions over the coming years alone so if they struggle to to get every flat occupied by a private owner who will pay a service charge then the tax payer will be left with a bill for the social housing side of the service charge.

In other words there will be tax payers money put into this complex while ever it exists.

will urban splash be giving the money it borrowed back to the taxpayers out of the profits it makes?

No. I believe that US were given approx £12m in a reverse tender when they won the project that nobody else really wanted. The true figure of public / quasi public financing so far is said to be around five times that sum with each flat being funded to the tune of more cash than its worth on the open market.

I thought there were four show flats each one designed by a different designer to give ideas of what is possible I suppose. I may go and have a look myself not that I want to buy one but more to see if they have been designed with the idea that they are life time homes. basically this means a property which you can live in without major adaptations regardless as to how your life and health pans out. Things like level access throughout, doorways wide enough to take a wheelchair, walk in showers or better still wet rooms.

I think it's a real shame that for Park Hill to get cleaned up & habitable it has to be flogged off and targeted at yuppies.

Indeed, it's terrible that no company was prepared to spend millions renovating it in exchange for absolutely nothing.