Please help.. 10 yr old child possible ADHD or similar

I really think that you are worrying unnecessarily chuck.

I've just read and reread your post and have to say that when my daughter was in Y5 and 6 - she showed ALL of the above and more - and continues to at times. You haven't listed one thing that I would be remotely concerned about. Seriously.

I think that it's great that you are obviously very involved in her education but as with most things - we're all different and have different rates and ways of learning. Please don't compare to others. We all want our kids to do well and with your love she will. She sounds like a happy, fun and extrovert girl and you've done a great job.

It's also worth remembering that she is prepubescent so her hormones will be all over the shop too - with moods etc..

Getting upset is a daily occurrence over the slightest thing! - don't expect them to react the same way an adult might - they aren't that developed. I think sometimes we forget how old they are. I remember giving the news of our dad passing away to my brother and sister of 8 and 12 a few years ago. I was met with two kids jumping around the living room chanting "we've got the day off school!" I was utterly livid - but they just don't understand hunny - they are just beginning to learn who they are.

By the way - my daughter never had a dummy and you can't shut her bloody up!!:0)

dont expect an instant diagnosis from ryegate .my son is 4 and has been going for the last 2 yrs.still no where near he is on the spectrum but where? school have delayed his start to full time he his not ready.still in full time nappys getting violent to his sister .its hard very hard but you will cope.she sounds like an angel to mine good luck with ryegate

Presumably Ryegate are assessing your child? what more is it that you think they can do. Diagnosing psychological issues isn't like looking at an x ray and spotting a broken arm.

Presumably Ryegate are assessing your child? what more is it that you think they can do. Diagnosing psychological issues isn't like looking at an x ray and spotting a broken arm.

I think they are well aware of that :rolleyes:!! as they said in their post they know their child is on the spectrum! but not where on the spectrum! when you parent a child with a disability knowing just how much their disability is likely to effect them is obviously VERY important! its not called a spectrum for nothing!.

I think they are well aware of that :rolleyes:!! as they said in their post they know their child is on the spectrum! but not where on the spectrum! when you parent a child with a disability knowing just how much their disability is likely to effect them is obviously VERY important! its not called a spectrum for nothing!.

Whoa - I have a child with Aspergers so well aware of the spectrum thank you. Just wondering what more the OP thought Ryegate ought to be doing..........as you will know 4 is v young to get a full diagnosis.

dont expect an instant diagnosis from ryegate .my son is 4 and has been going for the last 2 yrs.still no where near he is on the spectrum but where? school have delayed his start to full time he his not ready.still in full time nappys getting violent to his sister .its hard very hard but you will cope.she sounds like an angel to mine good luck with ryegate

As you can see yorkie pud has alot on their plate! i just felt your post was a little insensitive, I see now i had you wrong, apologise :)

Whoa - I have a child with Aspergers so well aware of the spectrum thank you. Just wondering what more the OP thought Ryegate ought to be doing..........as you will know 4 is v young to get a full diagnosis.

Tbh I know several children that have been diagnosed as young as 2, when your are talking lower (more sever) functioning ASD it is alot more obvious and diagnosis is needed it order for the correct support to be put in place. I do agree that it will be very difficult for Ryegate to give a bigger picture at this stage, still (as you know) thats going to be tough going for the parents.

• 5 months later...

personally i wouldnt rule out adhd but you dont mention if she flies off the handle which people with adhd regularly do. There seems to be some emphasis on her school work..Is it possible that shes under pressure to get it all correct.?.maybe she feels over loaded an her quirky behaviour is just that shes a little girl of 10 who

is making the noises etc to empty her mind of worry/pressure?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Archived