Bar and Grill closed down

Interesting actually, with a few exceptions the most successfull examples of venues in the Sheffield area doing good food are in more laid back venues - perhaps those that are happy to pay more for good food round here don't like a formal, stuffy atmosphere - they prefer a more relaxed, social place with staff and management that you can talk to like a friend?

And most arent in the city centre, as the city centre at night is not a place where most of the well to do folk want to be as it's taken over by drunks, thugs, vagrants and ne'r do wells.. like most city centres these days.

The vastly cheaper rents in the suburbs also mean they dont have to charge unjustified top wack prices for their food. I imagine Bar and Grill had to take £1500 a week just to cover their rent, rates and service charge.

And most arent in the city centre, as the city centre at night is not a place where most of the well to do folk want to be as it's taken over by drunks, thugs, vagrants and ne'r do wells.. like most city centres these days.

The vastly cheaper rents in the suburbs also mean they dont have to charge unjustified top wack prices for their food. I imagine Bar and Grill had to take £1500 a week just to cover their rent, rates and service charge.

"£1500 a week just to cover their rent, rates and service charge.!

:hihi::hihi: and the rest! that wouldnt cover much at all !i am guessing nearer double that?

Interesting actually, with a few exceptions the most successfull examples of venues in the Sheffield area doing good food are in more laid back venues - perhaps those that are happy to pay more for good food round here don't like a formal, stuffy atmosphere - they prefer a more relaxed, social place with staff and management that you can talk to like a friend?

Absolutely spot on as far as I'm concerned and the main reason why I love the Wig and Pen/Milestone as well as quite a few bars for food.

Even The Beauchief, where the food is amazing, is quite formal, but the staff are warm and friendly.

Well I am happy its closed and the London club should be too .. too bloody expensive for me and my dog .. Sheffield doesnt need places like these no one can afford em and give us some more Wetherspoons !
You're entitled to your opinion but happy?

You're pleased its closed, happy that people are out of work, happy that its shut down? Care to explain why?

Harrogate doesnt need anyone from Leeds or Manchester spending money there at weekends, its a wealthy town in it's self, infact it's probably the Harrogate folk that go spending loads of brass in the top shops of Leeds.

Sheffield centre will always struggle to have a more upmarket bar/restaurant as the "afterwork" crowd hardly exists in the city centre as there aren't any businesses, hardly any big law firms, accountants, banks, insurance companys and all the shoppers with money are in Meadowhall, blame the council, it's them thats to blame as over the past 30 years they've totally killed the city centre off.

Couldnt agree more mate, these idiots with their anti car and expensive/hard to find parking policies use the city centre as a cash cow which has slowly eroded the influx in, when its a ghost town they'll be cap in hand wanting money to improve it.

Well I am happy its closed and the London club should be too .. too bloody expensive for me and my dog .. Sheffield doesnt need places like these no one can afford em and give us some more Wetherspoons !

It's people like you why Sheffield is the laughing stock of all the other major cities.

Does no-one think roger might be trolling? Me and my dog?

Fair enough about harrogate sheffbloke - the point is some buggers spending money there!

I do resent the implication that if I didnt go to that grill place its because I'm a heathen. It didn't look like good value for money and I couldn't afford a hundred odd quid just to take the chance becase the reviews werent that good either.

Does no-one think roger might be trolling? Me and my dog?

I do resent the implication that if I didnt go to that grill place its because I'm a heathen.

Yes, how odd. As with the original Bar and Grill thread, this one has been contributed to by similar trolls and shills.

No doubt this is one contributing factor to the restaurant's demise. If a place needs to attempt to influence public opinion so much, there's something very wrong going on.

Why do some contributors have some kind of vested interest in miring discussions of this restaurant in debates about pricing and Sheffield's dining culture??? Genuinely, I'm bemused by it!

Archived