Bar and Grill closed down

There's also a lot of independent places where you pay a little bit extra and get mediocre food cooked worse than I could do it myself at home. Some chef's have ideas well above their station. Sometimes at least you know what you're getting at a chain restaurant- and they do vouchers![/QUOTE]

Ridiculous, obviously some restaurants are better than others, read reviews and make you choice, yours is exactly the mentality that leads to the chains thriving.

I would walk miles to avoid one of these places.

Yes, you know what you're getting, some pre-prepared garbage cooked by a student on his gap from university.

There's also a lot of independent places where you pay a little bit extra and get mediocre food cooked worse than I could do it myself at home. Some chef's have ideas well above their station. Sometimes at least you know what you're getting at a chain restaurant- and they do vouchers![/QUOTE]

Ridiculous, obviously some restaurants are better than others, read reviews and make you choice, yours is exactly the mentality that leads to the chains thriving.

I would walk miles to avoid one of these places.

Yes, you know what you're getting, some pre-prepared garbage cooked by a student on his gap from university.

Exactly, the good ones last (and you can probably count the number of restaurants in Sheffield that have been around longer than 5 years on two hands). The others fail because they arent very good. Not because the council dont support small independent restaurants.

Everybody loves a Nando's! Dont try and deny you do!

Exactly, the good ones last (and you can probably count the number of restaurants in Sheffield that have been around longer than 5 years on two hands). The others fail because they arent very good. Not because the council dont support small independent restaurants.

Everybody loves a Nando's! Dont try and deny you do![/QUOTE]

I do enjoy Nando's, dont mind KFC either but I wouldnt go to either of these places for an evening meal.

Everybody loves a Nando's! Dont try and deny you do![/QUOTE]

I do enjoy Nando's, dont mind KFC either but I wouldnt go to either of these places for an evening meal.

So you've gone from walking miles to avoid these places to enjoying them for a daytime meal :hihi:

There's also a lot of independent places where you pay a little bit extra and get mediocre food cooked worse than I could do it myself at home. Some chef's have ideas well above their station. Sometimes at least you know what you're getting at a chain restaurant- and they do vouchers!

i agree not all independents are good, so they dont last but that still leaves the good ones that struggle against the chains, because they cant afford the marketing of deal....vouchers ! even that the chains do, chains are usually national and so spread their risk, if one area is doing badly the good areas prop it up thats how big multi store business and chains work, mass brand awareness, spread profits! a small independent cannot do this.

councils do no favours for the little restaurant, no A boards, licence for outside chairs and tables, planning for this and that, no leafleting in the centre without a licence, no rates relief i could go on.....big chains can dictate if a council wants to bring them to an area in the hope of jobs and huge rates revenue.

maybe the council should have let Hooters take this unit!:o at least it would still be going;)

Cary Brown seems not to have much luck with his restaurants..he seems to be a talented chef but has no business head. Didnt his successful Slammers restaurant shut down because he forgot to pay the tax man?

i know cary and he trained as a commis chef under me years ago on work placement from college early 80,s at the grosvenor house hotel (when it was a good hotel", he is very talented but seems to run before walking, Slammers could have been a much bigger success, tax is not the main reason it shut but one of many.

hope he comes back someday with a small venue some day along the "slammers" line, i for one would get involved investmentwise.....but hold the purse strings:hihi::hihi:

So you've gone from walking miles to avoid these places to enjoying them for a daytime meal :hihi:

If I want reasonable fast food yes, the point I was making is I would rather make the effort to find a good independant place than take the lazy bland option of a chain (vouchers or not).

Archived