The Bridge Inn at Ford

Eckolad

I went a few weeks ago - we'd just taken a long stroll through the woods and so it seemed a good idea to stop off there for a drink.

I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to real ale and to be honest, Thwaite's beer doesn't move me a great deal. I think it's pretty ordinary. I don't mind the Lancaster Bomber but it's pushing it to describe it as really good real ale. So, unusually for me, I went for lager because they'd got Warsteiner on draft - and on a hot day after a longish walk that went down well.

It was a Sunday and they were serving a few roast dinners. I looked at what was being turned out and I couldn't help thinking "why on earth would someone come here and pay money to eat that?". It didn't look very inspiring. Then again, why would anyone go and pay good money to eat at the Moss Brook in Eckington? I was there a few months ago and that was dreadful and painfully slow service to boot.

I preferred the Bridge Inn at Ford as it was when I was a kid. A 2 roomed local serving beer, pop and crisps, with a nice beer garden by the river.

It's one of those places, that under the right management or ownership, could be an absolute gold mine due to the lovely location.

But it isn't.

My wife and I went in the Bridge last week and I have to say it is a definite improvement on the state the place was in this time last year. The pub was spotlessly clean, well stocked bar, a reasonably priced comprehensive menu and seemed quite busy for a mid week lunchtime. The staff were friendly and the service good. My only criticism, and a minor one at that ... they ought to peel the potatoes prior to making home made chips ... the rustic variety with the skins left on are an acquired taste and is a practice carried out by a lot of Derbyshire pubs ... wife and I just don't like them ... but then that is just our personal preference.!

Archived