Bt connection charge - fuming!!

I recently moved out of my rented property into my mum and dads as my new house isn't ready. I thought I'd call bt to tell them of the move, I was told that there was no line in the property even though I told them that there was a bt box and wiring because I asked the electrician to move it from the hall to the front room. Anyway the lady told me it said on the system I had no line and would therefore need an engineer visit which would cost £130, I agreed to the charge as she said there definitely wasn't a line at the property. I got an email to confirm the visit and it said the engineer would come to the house and do the work and possibly work The exchange. Tow days before the visit I got a text message saying "sorry for the inconvenience but the visit has been cancelled as there is a line in the property". I was well chuffed I didn't have to pay the connection fee, boy was I wrong!!! BT sent me my final bill for the old property and added the £130 connection fee to it. I phoned up and they told me it was because the engineer still had to go to the exchange, I told them that i got text message to confirm the cancellation but they weren't having non of it in fact they cut me off, when I phoned back and had to repeat myself I was told the same thing then when I said I wanted to cancel my account they cut me off again. I rang a third time and was told I'd have to make a complaint. Today I got a telephone call from the complaints department. The first thing she said after I had confirmed who I was, was you agreed to the £130 charge. I said yes but I agreed for an engineer to come to the house because bt told me there wasn't a line in the property and then I get a text message to say there is a line and the appointment has been cancelled. She said yes but the engineer still had to go to the exchange it doesn't matter if he's there 5 mins or 5 hours the charge is correct. I told her I wanted proof that the engineer was there she said there was a log but I couldn't have it as that's bts information. She told me there was a call log of me agreeing to the charge so I've asked her to send it me apparently I have to write to some one she's sending the info out. I told her that I wouldn't not be paying the charge as I agreed to a new line been put in but as there was already one there I don't see why they still have to charge it makes no sense to me. Sorry this is long and repetitive but does anyone know if I have a leg to stand on if I contest the charge? I have an email confirmation to confirm the engineer visit to put a line in and a text message cancelling as there's already a line in the property. Any help would be great thanks

i was a BT customer at my previous address so was keen to keep them when i moved 18 months ago they wanted £130.00 plus vat to put a line in at my new address. there was no line at my new place.. i then looked around and chose plus net who were only charging £49.99 this was for the same BT engineer to come out and reconnect the line. I would shop around. But i would contest the bill

Thanks I will definitely take it all the way, if I can afford to get out of my contact I'll leave like a shot!!!

It will not cost you anything to get out of this contract; you were given false information prior to signing it, and therefore the contract is void.

The main problem you have is that upon connection I believe your bound to the new contract and there is no cooling off period which is pants because generally when you buy something you have the standard 14 days but it doesn't apply with British Telecom.

I would be persistent and call back to arrange a conversation with a manager, all communications between British Telecom and you have to be logged due to OFCOM regulations therefore judging by what you have said there is probably going to be a pretty decent paper trail of what has happened on your account. In addition to this all BT Openreach engineers whether Sub Contractor or not will have to log what the do each day inclusing all visits. Therefore I would go straight in for the kill and confidently demand the fee be wiped from your bill, explain the communications you have received and if they deny it request copies of all of the notes they hold on your account which generally occurs a small charge but the threat of requesting these and taking them along with your text message and all other communications directly to OFCOM and the regulatory bodies should prompt the manager to do something about it.

From previous experiences with BT always speak to a manager, Customer Service Reps in the past when I spoke to them didn't have the powers to apply large credits therefore I went straight in the second time to a manager, I had to wait til later in the day to speak to them and then they went away for a couple of hours to sort it all but I got a full refund on certain things.

Good luck! Remember the customer is always right, especially when they are actually right! The ball is very much in your court!

I recently moved out of my rented property into my mum and dads as my new house isn't ready. I thought I'd call bt to tell them of the move, I was told that there was no line in the property even though I told them that there was a bt box and wiring because I asked the electrician to move it from the hall to the front room. Anyway the lady told me it said on the system I had no line and would therefore need an engineer visit which would cost £130, I agreed to the charge as she said there definitely wasn't a line at the property. I got an email to confirm the visit and it said the engineer would come to the house and do the work and possibly work The exchange. Tow days before the visit I got a text message saying "sorry for the inconvenience but the visit has been cancelled as there is a line in the property". I was well chuffed I didn't have to pay the connection fee, boy was I wrong!!! BT sent me my final bill for the old property and added the £130 connection fee to it. I phoned up and they told me it was because the engineer still had to go to the exchange, I told them that i got text message to confirm the cancellation but they weren't having non of it in fact they cut me off, when I phoned back and had to repeat myself I was told the same thing then when I said I wanted to cancel my account they cut me off again. I rang a third time and was told I'd have to make a complaint. Today I got a telephone call from the complaints department. The first thing she said after I had confirmed who I was, was you agreed to the £130 charge. I said yes but I agreed for an engineer to come to the house because bt told me there wasn't a line in the property and then I get a text message to say there is a line and the appointment has been cancelled. She said yes but the engineer still had to go to the exchange it doesn't matter if he's there 5 mins or 5 hours the charge is correct. I told her I wanted proof that the engineer was there she said there was a log but I couldn't have it as that's bts information. She told me there was a call log of me agreeing to the charge so I've asked her to send it me apparently I have to write to some one she's sending the info out. I told her that I wouldn't not be paying the charge as I agreed to a new line been put in but as there was already one there I don't see why they still have to charge it makes no sense to me. Sorry this is long and repetitive but does anyone know if I have a leg to stand on if I contest the charge? I have an email confirmation to confirm the engineer visit to put a line in and a text message cancelling as there's already a line in the property. Any help would be great thanks

I have been through this rubbish last christmas,and the automated textmessage we got messed everything up.took me about 3 months in total to set things straight.Must have explained my story to 20 different operaters in total. Spent hours on the phone,all due to some automated technical glitch of theirs!

Anyway,I used that chat online Instant messenger thing in the end(spent a while on it,but was on/off websurfing anyways lol).

I know a lot of people slate different companies on here all the time,but B.T really have shaped themselves into a company full of staff that genuinely can't help you,even when the problem is so easy to solve.

Bt are the dearest company out there!, i know with sky if you have bb and talk and your moving homes , there have a department called home move who will install everything for free, but if i was you i wouldnt pay the charge!.

Archived