Twitter blocks Journalist, but not 'troll'

So twitter have blocked a journalist's account for criticising NBC's olympic coverage, but seem happy for some moron to use it send out abusive and threatening messages including offensive comments directed at the Diver Tom Daley.

Rileyy_69 seems to spends most of time sending abuse out on twitter - just over the past few days he's made numerous violent threats against other users - threatening to stab people, burn their house, drop kick a pregnant woman, and there's some racist abuse in there too. Although some reports say he's apologised to Tom Daley, he followed this up with more threats and abuse, and as of this morning, he's still doing it.

Guy Adams from the Independent's 'crime' appears to be related to tweeting the publicly available corporate email address of an NBC executive. Twitter blocked him almost instantly - without contacting him, asking him to remove to address, or even just removing it themselves.

I like Twitter - I use it follow mainly News feeds, some journalists, MPs, and a few writers and comedians that tweet interesting links and comments - I don't follow celebrities or idiots with nothing to say, so in general I don't see morons like Rileyy_69 - but twitter are doing themselves no favours by closing down good accounts, and leaving idiots alone to abuse people.

Arrested: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19059127

If you look at this idiot's timeline, this is not just a one off - he has repeatedly made threats of violence, and continued to do so even after he knew thousands of people had seen his comments. The comments he made to Tom Daley are no where near as bad as some of the other things he's threatened to do.

Whether or not he is a serious threat is a matter for the police and CPS, but unlike the user who made the joke about the airport, this guy has made something of a habit of sending threatening messages.

Archived