Twitter blocks Journalist, but not 'troll'

How can they be arresting people if, by your claim, they are on their arses and mucking about on social meeja?

Stop being deliberately, transparently and pointlessly argumentative.

I obviously mean that they would rather be sat in a warm office waiting for someone to report an idiot like the character in this case, or some retard of a footballer for “offending” on Twitter.

Their time would be much better spent (for the benefit of the general public) pounding the beat and providing a visible deterrent to real crime.

I note that even you don't try to defend the insane wittering of the South Yorkshire Police's Tweets.

Stop being deliberately, transparently and pointlessly argumentative.

I obviously mean that they would rather be sat in a warm office waiting for someone to report an idiot like the character in this case, or some retard of a footballer for “offending” on Twitter.

Their time would be much better spent (for the benefit of the general public) pounding the beat and providing a visible deterrent to real crime.

In your opinion, of course :)

So, you don't class death threats made online as "real crime"?

Just to add, the lad has been arrested fro his comments towards Tom Daley, NOT for the other more threatening messages.

It's back to the question of how far can the law punish 'trolling'. The comment wasn't originally that harsh. It was just stupid and timed at the exact point where it would cause the most harm.

I can agree with any statement that questions if the law is exactly the right thing to use, but it's not our job to decide.

This is interesting: Twitlonger

Well done, twitter. YOU went and got a 17 year old parentally bereaved young man arrested. YOU could have done what I did and just block him so you would no longer have to put up with his stupidity in your timeline (lots of people were retweeting you see). Instead you did your duty and ensured that something would be done by spreading it around as much as you possibly could. I wish I'd had your courage. [...]

In your opinion, of course :)

So, you don't class death threats made online as "real crime"?

Apparently, this odious piece of work has, via Twitter, been making death threats to normal members of the public for some time.

Yet he has only been arrested when he made an offense (non-threatening) comment to a “celebrity”.

This is not cogent policing strategy.

Just to add, the lad has been arrested fro his comments towards Tom Daley, NOT for the other more threatening messages.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19059127

Why do you say that ... when the BBC article in your link make no such claim and even, more clearly states:

"A 17-year-old boy was arrested at a guest house in the Weymouth area on suspicion of malicious communications.

Dorset Police said they acted after being contacted by a member of the public at about 22:30 BST on Monday.

A spokesman was unable to confirm whether the arrest was specifically over the tweets to Daley or subsequent Twitter conversations with other users."

Apparently, this odious piece of work has, via Twitter, been making death threats to normal members of the public for some time.

Yet he has only been arrested when he made an offense (non-threatening) comment to a “celebrity”.

This is not cogent policing strategy.

The person has been arrested on suspicion of malicious communications. Please post the link which confirms his arrest is in direct relation to these "non threatening" comments made to this celebrity.

The person has been arrested on suspicion of malicious communications. Please post the link which confirms his arrest is in direct relation to these "non threatening" comments made to this celebrity.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to search for it. Please feel free so to do.

To reitterate my earlier comment: "Stop being deliberately, transparently and pointlessly argumentative."

I have neither the time nor the inclination to search for it. Please feel free so to do.

To reitterate my earlier comment: "Stop being deliberately, transparently and pointlessly argumentative."

I have searched and none of the stories I've read suggest what you stated earlier, hence the request :)

Archived