Twitter blocks Journalist, but not 'troll'

...The Doncaster Airport fellow made a general open comment in a context that people could find amusing, or humorous...

I think a key point in this being overturned is that he made no attempt to hide his identity when he made the comment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19009344

However last month, John Cooper QC told the judges it was obvious the tweet was a joke and it was sent by someone who did not hide his identity.
If he had tried to hide his identity, say by registering on twitter with false details - which wouldn't have stopped the police from finding him but would have brassed them off somewhat, then he might not have had the decision overturned.

So if you feel tempted to make similar comments on a website, please make sure your registration details are correct.

Personally I'm very happy this was overturned, I think it was a huge overreaction to a silly comment.

His previous history of poor behaviour and threats was widely reported this morning. Subsequent to his arrest, these reports have been modified as the matter is now sub judice.

Explanation here: http://www.out-law.com/page-9742

I saw many reports this morning and again this afternoon, however, none of these reports stated that the troll was arrested for the "non offensive" comments made to Daley, as you previously stated.

I find it strange that most of the news reports are focussing on the bad taste comments about Daleys dad, but ignoring the explicit threat to drown him and the various other violent and racist threats he made over the course of the day.

It does seem unfair, however, it appears Rileyy's days are numbered. Just seen a tweet from Dorset Police confirming that they are investigating the abuse. If Twitter don't react, at least this lowlife will probably end up behind bars.

wont he just re-appear under a different name and carry on? i dont hav twitter so dont understand how it works

Archived