Do you trust the authorities?

How could it be irony??[/quote

Well its such a facile remark i was trying to guess your intention,and I am not going to be drawn into second guessing your motives.If you do not understand what irony means lets forget the whoe thing.

No I don't trust the authorities, especially the current central government with their policies of divide and conquer. There is far too much vilification around these days propagated by the government and sensationalist press. Lord Voldemort is alive and living it seems http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-19048294

Yes divide and rule is in full swing and gathering more and more momentum, just this forum alone has many examples!

We are a very individualistic society now and everyone is too busy hating each other for various reasons it distracts so much attention from those at the top which enables them to carry on unnoticed.

We have to trust the authorities that's what they are there for, you do seem very anti establishment though. I know you've had problems with DWP, I believe you were sanctioned, these things only happen though when wrong is done.

I'm afraid we can't all go through life doing as we please, try being a bit more open minded, I know red tape can be frustrating; just remember people in these jobs are bound by it, they didn't write it.:)

I'm not anti-establishment per se I just find it increasingly difficult to trust them, i understand the pressures, bureaucracy and red tape, however to pretend they have mine or anyone elses best interest at heart is foolish and a risk you cannot afford to presume anymore.

Its not just the unfair and unjust sanctions, there is many other examples of people I personally know who have been treated appallingly by the powers that be.

Yes divide and rule is in full swing and gathering more and more momentum, just this forum alone has many examples!

We are a very individualistic society now and everyone is too busy hating each other for various reasons it distracts so much attention from those at the top which enables them to carry on unnoticed.

I'm not sure about the deflecting attention away from the government bit, but seems likely it will make it easier to pass such bullying legislation.

No I don't trust the authorities, especially the current central government with their policies of divide and conquer. There is far too much vilification around these days propagated by the government and sensationalist press. Lord Voldemort is alive and living it seems http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-19048294

Hold on, you ARE the authorities !! You are their enforcer no matter who is in charge ! :D

I think that the history of world governments and government departments shows us that there are no black and white simple answers as to whether they can be trusted or not, you can only judge them against your own personal values of liberty, morality and justice and determine how tolerable they are in relation to these.

State leaders often try to do what they believe is best, but the outcomes of their decisions, when applied to the real world, can often have undesired and unforeseeable outcomes. Socially beneficial ideas can have a poor effect on the economy, economically beneficial decisions may harm the environment etc etc.

Every problem that arises in society can be solved only by increasing levels of bureaucracy and authoritarianism which leads to greater complexities in solving future problems, at greater cost (usually paid through greater taxation) and at a greater reduction of individual freedoms and liberties. Eventually some societies become too complex, people revolt as the country collapses and society simplifies. The authorities have to try to balance their decisions in order to prevent this from happening. In some cases state leaders make good decisions and a reasonable balance is restored, in other cases they make good decisions, but the society still deteriorates and in other cases they make bad decisions with terrible outcomes.

The true problem with state leaders is that they have granted themselves the legal right to perform acts of violence and abuse against their own people via the police force and have fostered armies in order to perform violence against foreigners. This level of power comes with enormous responsibilities and all too often those responsibilities aren't adhered to (the Syrian crisis is a relevant contemporary example, but there are too many historic examples to mention here including numerous examples within British history). Until governments become truly accountable for their violent acts they can never be fully trusted and we're a long way from that.

I think it's wise as an individual in a statist society to retain a healthy critical skepticism with regard to the decisions of state leaders and bodies, to call them to account when they behave immorally or arrogantly and to stay strong to your own convictions of what's right or just even if they're encouraging the masses through propaganda to behave intolerantly or insanely. In my opinion it's better to retain your innate humanity even if the government boot is "stamping on your face- forever", than it is to go through life parotting the view that a decreasing standard of living is "double-plus good" because that's what's expected of you.

I'm not sure about the deflecting attention away from the government bit, but seems likely it will make it easier to pass such bullying legislation.

But thats exactly how divide and rule works, no one notices the governments greed and corruption because we're all too pre occupied hating each other, private sector hates the public sector, other workers hate the unemployed, the unemployed hate the immigrants, car drivers hate the cyclists, non smokers hate the smokers and so the list goes on.........

Archived