Being told when to take holiday

i just wondered if anyone could side any light

i want to know if an employer can tell you when you can or can't take your holidays. i understand the general if theses already staff off or sickness cover etc but can tiny state that every year you are not allowed to book holidays go august.

if it is ok then does this have to be in your contract

At John Lewis we couldn't take holiday during Christmas trading, so half of November and the whole of December, plus we had to submit holiday forms for a whole year in one go so staffing could be worked out in advance

If you work for the police, they can cancel the leave you've already booked

If you work in a factory, your holidays can be dictated by shut down periods

Why are they blocking any holiday bookings specifically in August? If you job involves a specific event/project/task that is in August then it will be due to business need and they might be within their rights.

If it is just because you have only just started with the company and August is already fully booked up with everyone else then there is nothing you can do.

It will also depend on what they have put in your contract regards holiday bookings.

Also, if you start a new job, and advise them that you have holidays already booked for 'whenever' then they are obliged to honour those dates. But you have to be up front with them right from the off. But of course then there's a danger they won't offer you the job!

its every year not just this one. i have children of my own you see and they are at school from september so the only time we could really go away is in the six weeks holidays but apparently my job are saying we can't have leave in august.

it doesn't say nothing about this in my contract

its every year not just this one. i have children of my own you see and they are at school from september so the only time we could really go away is in the six weeks holidays but apparently my job are saying we can't have leave in august.

it doesn't say nothing about this in my contract

What's their reason?

Yes the employer can

Your employer can decide when some or all of your holidays must be taken. For instance, they may require you to take some of your holiday to cover the bank holidays, or may require the whole company to take holiday during a Christmas shutdown.

This may be in your contract of employment, or it may be normal practice built up over time. An employer has to give the same amount of notice as you do.

It is perfectly reasonable for the employer to have reasonable cover, and just because you have children this doesn't mean you are special in any way.

Also, if you start a new job, and advise them that you have holidays already booked for 'whenever' then they are obliged to honour those dates. But you have to be up front with them right from the off. But of course then there's a danger they won't offer you the job!

They are not obliged to honour prebooked holidays. You can ask nicely and they may do but there is not law that makes them.

Archived