Being told when to take holiday

This was the main reason for the London bus drivers taking strike action and demanding a bonus, although hardly reported by the right wing press.

No-where did it state in their contract of employment that their employers could instruct them when or when not to take holiday leave. The bonus was compensation for them NOT going on holiday during the Olympic period.

Look at your contract of employment for verification.

What is your job title?

If there is a genuine business need then I suspect legally then can block holiday bookings in August. It would be useful to know as it could give you an answer to your question.

Are you not able to say what you do or something??

I don't really know. I suppose it depends on your contract.

All I know is that they shouldn't be able to tell you when you can take your holidays. You should be able to book them when you want them, as long as the day is available.

They can tell you when to take your holidays:

If your employer wants you to take holiday

Your employer can decide when some or all of your holidays must be taken. For instance, they may require you to take some of your holiday to cover the bank holidays, or may require the whole company to take holiday during a Christmas shutdown.

This may be in your contract of employment, or it may be normal practice built up over time. An employer has to give the same amount of notice as you do.

What is your job title?

If there is a genuine business need then I suspect legally then can block holiday bookings in August. It would be useful to know as it could give you an answer to your question.

Are you not able to say what you do or something??

Have you thought that perhaps Xgiggles does not want her employers to read all of this and recognize her? It does not matter what her job title is - her employers can dictate when she takes her holidays as long as they give her the requisite notice - there is no legally suspect about it:

If your employer wants you to take holiday

Your employer can decide when some or all of your holidays must be taken. For instance, they may require you to take some of your holiday to cover the bank holidays, or may require the whole company to take holiday during a Christmas shutdown.

This may be in your contract of employment, or it may be normal practice built up over time. An employer has to give the same amount of notice as you do.

I was not asking her to give name and address of her employers - god sake I merely asked what her job was.

If she is doing something such as childcare, summer school, leisure or accommodation, travel industry etc... It would obviously give a good indication of why her employer has said NO to anyone taking August off.

Its called trying to get the full facts to give someone they advice they were asking for.

Its better than trying to second guess all the time.

Its better than trying to second guess all the time.

There is no need to "second guess". The question was answered ages ago.

Unless specified in your contract, an employer has the right to approve/not approve your requests for holiday.

There is no need to "second guess". The question was answered ages ago.

Unless specified in your contract, an employer has the right to approve/not approve your requests for holiday.

That is true. But the law also says (under Regulation 13 of Working Time Regulations) and within the Employment Rights Act 1996 that a worker is entitled to a minimum amount of holiday each year. This may include bank holidays or may include accrued lieu days from weekend or overtime working.

Now, although an employer has absolute right to dictate when you can take this. If it becomes apparent your employer is constantly refusing to grant leave without good reason eg. a proven business need...... to the point where you are unable to take it before year end that could lead to a grievance and/or complaint against them and obviously would need to be investigated by a union and/or legal representive. They key evidence for proving or denying such business need would be the business need, nature of the job, work type, hours of the employee and staffing levels.

However, as the OP question has been answered so perfectly well by others some time ago and clearly my simply asking for a little more detail has seemingly breached some metaphorical line and caused the trogs to kick off...... I will not protract any further into this discussion.

Archived