Ebay car question

If you must buy a car off ebay bid for the car but dont pay till you have had it checked and road tested.

I wouldn't even bid, it's supposed to be a legally binding contract.

The simplest method is:

1) Browse Ebay for a car you like.

2) Contact seller to arrange a viewing and test drive.

If you like it:

3) If it's a classified, buy it or make an offer.

4) If it's an auction, go home and bid until the end.

If seller doesn't respond or you don't like the car, walk away.

So you are saying sarah kane is stupid?

I've no idea of the intellect of Sarah Kane and i would never call anyone stupid,Sarah sounds to me to be a very trusting person ,the sort of person con artists like to take advantage of.Honest people tend to expect everyone else to be the same as themselves, sadly this world is full of chancers looking for gullible victims .We had a car in this week bought off ebay running on three out of four cylinders , it was diagnosed as a badly damaged piston on one cylinder with the other three cylinders burning oil.We later found the engine warning light bulb had been removed and a reciept for four new plugs in the glove box,the car was bought as sold as seen no returns.

I wouldn't even bid, it's supposed to be a legally binding contract.

The simplest method is:

1) Browse Ebay for a car you like.

2) Contact seller to arrange a viewing and test drive.

If you like it:

3) If it's a classified, buy it or make an offer.

4) If it's an auction, go home and bid until the end.

If seller doesn't respond or you don't like the car, walk away.

Although sales are supposed to be legally binding ebay cannot make winning bidders pay up,ebay always seems to be on the side of the buyer in disputes.

Weve sold a few cars on ebay.

Some people come and look others dont. I once had a guy win an auction, he came out and tried saying that the car had been in an accident (clearly hadnt and HPI showed this) but he refused to pay, my argument was that he should have checked before bidding, however he said the item wasnt as described and therefore he didnt have to continue with the transaction, we we agreed to cancel the sale. He was a car dealer by the way.

My feeling is that people cant be bothered to come and look before bidding, so they bid anyway and if they arent happy when they collect they say they dont want it and say its different from described and thats it, Ebay would always side with them. Hence I would never sell a car on there.

I wouldnt pay by paypal, maybe a small deposit to sow commitment, but not the whole amount def not.

I would never pay for anything over 2 or3 hundred quid by paypal.

I would always insist on cash on collection

cancel the bid even at the risk of bad feedback

If you as a buyer pay cash on collection for a private sale then there's little chance of you getting your money back if the sale goes wrong.

If you pay by PayPal & the item isn't as described then you can get a refund from PayPal.

You can get a PayPal app for your phone & pay by PayPal on collection, that'd be the safest way.

The only problems with PayPal are for the seller to worry about, not the buyer. PayPal gives you extra protection as a buyer.

Buyers can't get negative feedback on ebay.

Most sellers are keen to reject Paypal for items that are collected. This is because there have been cases, in the past, even with cars and other things that it is impossible to send in the post,, when the buyer has declared the item as not received, and got a refund! The seller can't provide tracking numbers, so Paypal just refund (they must be really thick)

Of course some do still accept it, as it makes it a bit easier to pay their eBay fees, having money in Paypal. I don't think they can actually refuse a Paypal payment if a buyer wants to pay that way, but most prefer not to on collection items (both buyers and sellers).

Anyhow, I wouldn't buy a car on eBay without viewing it. Most car sellers encourage viewing due to timewasters who don't come to look, then bid and refuse to buy. This seller sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Archived