Need urgent advice. Do you think this is a scam or real?

Just received this email :

Hello

I'm sorry for not telling you about my trip to Madrid,I'm writing this with tears in my eyes,my family and I came down here to Spain,Europe for a short vacation unfortunately we were mugged at the park of the hotel where we stayed,all cash,credit card and cell were stolen off us but luckily for us we still have our passports with us.

We've been to the embassy and the Police here but they're not helping issues at all and our flight leaves in less than hours from now but having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the bills,I'm freaked out at the moment.wondering if you could help us with a quick loan, I promise I'll refund it once we get home. Please write me so i can send you the info for the wire of the money to save me from the embarrassment of not being able to cover the bills.

Thanks.

I've rung my friend's home phone no. & there's no reply. She could well have gone away, as I've been away & just got back. The email was sent to "undisclosed recipients" & the odd thing is that she says "vacation" and "Spain Europe". Has anyone else had one of these? I haven't replied & would be so glad of advice.

Thanks

"undisclosed recipients" = scam

Reading between the lines of your OP, on the assumption that this came from a friend ('s email address) of yours, surely she would have used your name(s) and something a bit more personal, instead of 'Hello'.

Half way down this page: http://netprofitstoday.com/blog/email-scam-urgent-request-from-a-friend/

"I’m writing this with tears in my eyes,my family and I came down here to Madrid.Spain for a short vacation unfortunately we were mugged at the park of the hotel where we stayed,all cash,credit card and cell were stolen off us but luckily for us we still have our passports with us."

Thank you all. I'd hate to think of this lady in trouble & I hadn't helped. You're quite right, frededwards, it doesn't read like a native English speaker. I dashed this off as I couldn't contact any mutual friends & hoped the Forum would turn up trumps, as it always does.

Loob - I just thought she might have sent out a general email to all her friends, asking for help, but of course, on reflection, it would have been more personal.

nickycheese - Good God, is there no end to the ingenuity of these people?

Forum to the rescue again. Thank you.

Archived