BBC NEWS - Look North; Sheffield housing, 'like Beirut'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-19076888

About 50 homes were expected to be finished by December 2011, but the developer went into administration.

Residents said they were left with the land "looking like Beirut" with weeds, boarded-up windows and metal security fencing.

On the news now!

Only yesterday the news was on about a 46% increase in homelessness in Sheffield.

Is there a large Lebanese community in Sheffield, then?

"The development was initially proposed as a £27m scheme designed by Dutch architecture firm, Meccanoo."

Dutch architecture? - I had a Meccano set when I was a lad.

Perhaps it should've been designed by the Dansh architecture firm Leggoo?

before this development started, a private developer wanted to build 500 houses on derelict land on claywheels lane but was turned down because it would interfere with the council's plans for fox hill (stone edge). i live down the road from this and the site is a real eyesore.

before this development started, a private developer wanted to build 500 houses on derelict land on claywheels lane but was turned down because it would interfere with the council's plans for fox hill (stone edge). i live down the road from this and the site is a real eyesore.

think planning permsission has been granted for a tesco or sainsabury's on clay wheels lane now

I only caught the tail end of this on Look North last night so didn't see where it was at the time.

I seem to remember that as part of that proposed housing scheme on Claywheels Lane there could have been a second bridge over the river at Middlewood. Whether the houses or bridge would ever have come to fruition is impossible to say, I suppose, but what we've ended up with is nothing, or rather, even worse than nothing really.

Archived