Facebook is it a good or bad thing

As far as I'm concerned, Facebook is fantastic. My daughter is in London, so are my grand-children. My bother, up to his death a few months ago was in Sheffield. His children, my nieces are in Sheffield too and I am able to keep in touch with them on there more than I ever could by phone and practically all at once. My son lives in Japan and during the earthquake, it was invaluable in keeping abreast with what was happening. A lot of his friends from his Dojo are on my friends list as well,even though I don't actually know them, but if he hadn't been on, then one of them would come on and tell me they had seen him and all was well.

Yes there are some silly people on there but as a tool it is great. Like any computer, it's only as good as the information fed into it. Use it correctly and it is a good friend.

I find Facebook to be a useful tool, I do a fair bit of travelling and Facebook gives me the opportunity to update family and friends quickly and easily with where I am and what I've been up too.

Facebook no doubt has caused problems for people, you only have to watch an episode of Jeremy Kyle to hear people shouting well you said this and that on Facebook ect but that's more down to how people use Facebook and not the fault of Facebook itself.

Fire is also a bad thing; look how many cases of arson there are every year.

Any sort of tool, be it a computer program, mechanical tool, the invention of the wheel or whatever, is neither good nor bad - merely useful. The question of good or bad applies upon the uses to which it is put - which depends on people, not on the tools.

Like religion?:D

It's a good thing. It can only be a good thing. The fact that people abuse it has nothing to do with it.

It's like saying "the wheel is a bad invention because people steal and crash cars".

I agree with this comment. I find if Facebook can be a really useful tool for finding out information, what's happening locally, asking for advice, keeping up to date with family and friends and the best thing for me is getting back in touch with family members who I had lost touch with. It's really great being back in touch with them.

If Facebook is used sensibly then there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I was a latecomer to facebook but once I got going I soon had a sizeable list of “friends” but then one day I thought these aren’t “friends” at all its just crazy so I removed them all.

I now use facebook in the way I feel it was meant to be used originally …. My son is in hull and I can get regular pictures and videos of our granddaughter, his partners mum and dad are in Dubai, without face book I don’t see how they could be in touch on a regular basis.

I was a latecomer to facebook but once I got going I soon had a sizeable list of “friends” but then one day I thought these aren’t “friends” at all its just crazy so I removed them all.

I now use facebook in the way I feel it was meant to be used originally …. My son is in hull and I can get regular pictures and videos of our granddaughter, his partners mum and dad are in Dubai, without face book I don’t see how they could be in touch on a regular basis.

I think there are plenty of other ways to stay in touch with frields and family, but Facebook allows you to do it in a unique way. It's almost like they are not hundreds or thousands of miles away.

Archived