Personal accountability and social responsibility.

I know someone who managed to smash-up himself and his car whilst over the drink-drive limit. His insurance company refused to compensate him for the extensive injuries that he received as a result of the crash. I do not know if the accident was his fault but it did involve several cars.

He was in hospital for months and now has social workers allocated, care packages and council housing. Despite improving in his mobility, he is unlikely to ever be able to work again.

Is it fair that tax payers pick up his tab?

I know someone who managed to smash-up himself and his car whilst over the drink-drive limit. His insurance company refused to compensate him for the extensive injuries that he received as a result of the crash. I do not know if the accident was his fault but it did involve several cars.

He was in hospital for months and now has social workers allocated, care packages and council housing. Despite improving in his mobility, he is unlikely to ever be able to work again.

Is it fair that tax payers pick up his tab?

Yes. No one is infallible. Custodial sentences for people's mistakes/offences. If benefits and state support were means tested by previous actions or mistakes virtually nobody would be entitled to it.

Archived