Random car question

In the sixties i had a beach buggy (based on a 61 vw chassis) no roof,windows, doors ,wing mirrors,bumpers or seat belts perfectly street legal then.

And still roadworthy now, I think. I'm assuming that the contract the OP has, is for repairs to any damage that makes the car unroadworthy; a stuck window does not.

And still roadworthy now, I think. I'm assuming that the contract the OP has, is for repairs to any damage that makes the car unroadworthy; a stuck window does not.

Would it fail its MOT with a stuck window? I dunno, but if so does that mean it's un roadworthy?

So supposing i have a car thats on hp and the windows stop working. Wont go up at all.

That wouldn't be a cosmetic problem then?

The car is not of satisfactory quality nor fit for its purpose.

You should be entitled to seek remedy with the HP company under The Supply of Goods Act.

The OP could really do with reading the details of his contract. I have never heard failed window function referred to as "cosmetic". They haven't refused it on the grounds that it's still roadworthy.

I think it does indeed pose a security risk and possibly a mild safety risk, in extreme weather.

To the OP, ask to be shown in the contract where it specifically says that faulty windows are a cosmetic issue.

The OP could really do with reading the details of his contract. I have never heard failed window function referred to as "cosmetic". They haven't refused it on the grounds that it's still roadworthy.

I think it does indeed pose a security risk and possibly a mild safety risk, in extreme weather.

To the OP, ask to be shown in the contract where it specifically says that faulty windows are a cosmetic issue.

Ive done that and they said i need to read it for myself so i did and couldn't find anything so rang them back and told them this, asked to be directed to the bit where it says it but again they said its not they job to read the contract to me. Ive also rang the insurance company and asked them where i would stad if i had a window i couldnt wind up and something happened to the car.

They said they wouldnt pay out as its insecure and i know its insecure.

The financial ombudsman is involved too.

Ive just spoken to the hp company and they say "its cosmetic because it enhances the appearance of the vehicle, its is NOt structural, not for security or safety either":confused:

Would it fail its MOT with a stuck window? I dunno, but if so does that mean it's un roadworthy?

I had a Caterham 7 for a while and it had no side windows whatsover. You don't have to have a windscreen either, but if one is fitted it must be made of the right stuff.

I wouldn't expect the contract to list windows as "cosmetic".

What the contract probably does say is what (and possibly what not) they would be responsible for repairing or maintaining.

How long after purchase did the fault develop?

How old is the car?

The car was 5 years old when i got it and was unreliable from day one.

Looking back i should have returned the car then but stupidly believed the car place when they said i couldnt.

The list of faults reads as follows.

Poor starting

Stalling

Loss of power.

Dash fire

window fault x2

I later found info that cast doubt on its identity :(

Archived